Thursday, February 23, 2006

Power Of The Card

I'd bet that a lot of people dread going to the mailbox. Why? There is probably going to be a bill for something in there. And surrounding that will probably be some junk mail, maybe a catalogue. There just isn't anything of much interest waiting in most of our mailboxes. But, oh the pleasant surprise when there is a piece of snail mail from an old friend!

I love to send mail. Snail mail to be more accurate. It's probably my favorite form of communication. Yeah, I do send email (a few people probably wish I'd stop!) and I can talk on the phone (I just don't like to. My parents sure were glad that I skipped right over that teenage phase...lol.) but I love to send mail. I send a lot of cards and letters and occasionally there is the care package.

You might think I'm just a really sweet person for sending mail to others, but I have a hidden motive. I like to buy cards. I'm a card nut. If there was a fetish involving greeting cards I'd probably have to claim it. I could spend hours in a card shop. And there doesn't have to be a particular reason to buy a card. I don't limit myself to birthdays and holidays. I learned early on in college that a trip to the campus mailbox could make or break my day (or week or month or semester). There is just something not nice about opening an empty mailbox. Also, there is the whole element of surprise. You're not expecting a sweet note or snickery card to be there waiting for you. I don't always have the element of surprise because I can't keep anything a secret and I usually spill the beans and warn the recipient that it's coming. But, there are times when I restrain myself and just wait for the reply. I love it when I'm sending a care package and the post office guy asks if I'd like delivery confirmation. I just smile and say that I'll know when they get it.

I haven't made a list in a while (and in honor of this post) I thought I'd list a few of the saying on some of my favorite cards.

Front: A tall flagpole with a big pair of undies flying.
Inside: Congratulations on your big ass achievement.

Front: When you're feeling down just do what I do...
Inside: Make everyone else around you miserable!

Front: Happy Birthday (completely white background with black typewriter font)
Inside: They say the generic brand cards are just as good as name brand.

Front: Picture of Paul Revere and some Revolutionary soldiers
Inside: So apparently being a minute man used to be a good thing.

Front: A guy in prison striped black and white with a ball and chain
Inside: Enough about me...where did your parents go wrong?

Front: Cruise ship and paradise looking stuff and If it were MY birthday I'd take all my friends on an all-expenses-paid cruise to an EXOTIC island.
Inside: But that's just me. I'm sure your little cake and ice cream thing will be just fine.

And those are just a few. I figure that if I'm laughing out loud in the store then the person who gets the card will probably crack a smile at the mailbox.

So, as I eagerly await the arrive of my "care" package, I challenge you to take some time and send someone a little happiness through the mail!

12 comments:

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

That's awesome. I send "mail treats" to my friends. Home-made bullshit complete with stickers, glitter, ribbon... and any other left-over art and crafts supplies I can find!

With email, and free long distance plans... few people bother with snail mail fun. But I'm old school! If you're convinced I'm not psycho, email me your address and I'll put you on my mail treat list. I only get inspired a few times per years, but I have fun doing it, and it's a welcomed mailbox treat!

(100% guaranteed anthrax free!) LOL

mikster said...

So what would make you happy to see in the mail?

Tracy O'Brien said...

I absolutely love receiving letters.. I used to always have pen pals, one of whom got married last year! I haven't written a letter in so long, I remember when I started college and moved out of home my Dad used to write to me every week. It really made me so happy, I must say it to him actually!

Steff said...

Rachael: homemade bullshit...lmao!!! I'm supposed to be getting a surprise package from another fellow blogger. Let me see how that goes first...lol. Hope the new job is going well!

Mike: I know there is snickery hidden in there somewhere...lol. I just love to get mail. That's one nice thing about living at home (still) most of the bills aren't for me! I got a card just yesterday and it just brightened my whole day!

Baloobas: That's cool about the pen pals. I have an email pal that I met through another website. We've been sending emails and cards back and forth since about September. It's fun to meet new people...people I'd probably never meet any other way. You should tell your dad who much his letters meant...he might surprise you with a few more!

Trina said...

That's funny that we were both thinking about snail mail. I really do love it too. My Dad sends me stuff all the time, and it means tons to me. So now we have the SNA problem and we are snail mail junkies, what else will surface?

Tracy O'Brien said...

Yeah I think I'll be doing that.. it's funny though, he sent me a letter today, the main reason was to send me on the disc for my car tax, with a little note attached. Strange how things like that happen - such a coincidence!!!

Deb said...

Oh you have something coming Steff. AND it will be very interesting to say the least. I think you should hold a party with this theme. Don't forget to invite me. It'll be there in about 4 days or so. Sorry for the delay.

I'm a card freak too, but too lazy to mail things out from my location. I just send crap from my vending company. ;) NOT crap per se, fun stuff....oh fun stuff...mua ha ha ha!

momto3blessings said...

I agree it is a special surpise to get a card or little box of something in the mail from a friend.

mikster said...

Isn't Deb such a big tease.....lol

Steff said...

Blessings: Yeah, birthday cards and holiday cards are good, but the best kind of cards and packages are the ones that aren't for a reason...just because the person thought about you and wanted you to know that!

Mike: Yeah she is. She did leave a little picture over on her comments as to a clue about what might be umm coming...snickers.
PS...I think we were in each other's comments at the same time.

*~Annette~* said...

I love getting mail. I really should make more of an effort to MAIL mail rather than simply recieve it. Other than bills. YUK.

Anonymous said...

ROVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE PREPARED, HE'S COMING!!!!!!!! (or at least his insides are..... ;-) See you Satruday...

love ya, hon