Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Interference

In the football game of life, I'd have thrown a huge yellow flag doodad at Queen B the other day for MAJOR interference in my personal business. I suppose you want the story from the beginning. Okay...fine. Make me relive it.

When I first started subbing back in September I had a contact that made getting jobs a little easier. Maybe she felt like I was the puppy at the table that deserved to have a few scraps thrown it's way every now and then. Whatever her motivation, I was grateful. She'd let me know what jobs were coming up and then she'd make sure that I got them. (Now I wonder how many other people got the treatment I'm now receiving.) Anyway, I turned a blind eye to anything that might not have been on the up and up.

Let's just fast forward through several months of getting several jobs thanks to Queen B.

Now, in February, a friend of mine went cross ways with Queen B's daughter. (Note: I have a habit of ending up going round and round on the gossip mill so I tried very hard to stay out of this situation considering I didn't want to do anything to upset the delicate balance of her giving me jobs and me seeming grateful.) I'm all for mothers being protective of their daughters, but some take it to the extreme. Apparently, Queen B passed down a judgment that if I am associated with anyone who doesn't like her daughter I must be talking trash about her too. So, the job well has completely dried up. I think it's petty and dumb but hey...I shouldn't need her to make it in the sub world. I'm a dang good sub. People have said so...from principals on down. I wasn't too worried considering I had at least five jobs lined up that I'd been requested for by teachers at Queen B's school. Now comes the flag throwing.

Queen B blocked ALL five sub jobs. Yep. Blocking them as in I can't have them. As in she gave them to someone else. As in there went my $275. She says she is doing it because there probably aren't going to be any openings at that campus. She claims she's just "helping" me get my name out there by getting me to take other jobs at other schools. She's lying. She's punishing me for something she thinks I did. I even asked point blank if there was some reason other than a professional one as to why I'd been blocked. She gave me the run-around. I was pretty upset to say the least. And I wasn't the only one. The teacher that had requested me called me at home to ask about the situation. I didn't know much at that point...yeah I had plenty of suspicions but nothing I'd feel safe repeating...so I told her I'd continue to look into it. That's when she said she didn't trust many subs in her classroom and she really wanted me in there with her kids.

So, I called the district sub coordinator and asked if there was any reason why I might be being blocked. He was reluctant to agree it was anything other than oversight. I didn't go into the whole "she's punishing me" thing. I'm trying to be professional here. Anyway, he did say that if it continued into a pattern to call him back.

So here I am...frustrated that she's doing this. Having to scrounge up jobs on my own...which is harder than I thought it would be. Oh, and did I mention that I see Queen B three times a week outside of the school system? I'm going to kill her with kindness cause I can't just flat out kill her.

I'm joking people.

13 comments:

mikster said...

That truly sucks. She has final say in all this I assume at that particular school?

oh

And are there any prospects out there for a permanent position that you've found?

Deb said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. She sounds very spiteful, and for what it's worth----I bet you don't even need ANY of her help.

I just hate when people are like that. It's a shame you have to deal with her three times per week. Ugh--don't know how you do it...

mikster said...

Yanno...we had a teacher in highschool we couldn't stand. And for some reason we had to take a semester of 'boys home-ech'. We baked a cake...used a tad bit of ex-lax for the icing and took her a big slab of cake to eat.

Within 20 minutes of wolfing down the cake she was shitting down the hall as well.

Just an idea.

Steff said...

Mike: That's a tricky question. She can't damage my image there (it's good by the way) without making herself look bad. But, she can make life difficult for me. I wanted to get the principal and another teacher to be references on my updated resume. Queen B can definitely not let my call go through or "lose" my messages. God, just thinking about this makes my blood boil.

As for the other, I'm pursuing leads in Frisco and Denton.

Deb: These are the things that make me feel like us Christians are just as two-faced as some people think. I see her at church and I just try to avoid her. Thanks for the sweet words. I ate an entire pint of ice cream after I found out what she did. May God let the calories go to her hips instead of mine!

Mike: First, ick. Second, thanks. I think I'll skip the cake baking, but I'm sure she'll get what is coming to her. It's sweet of you to think of me though...lol.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Good jobs are ALL about networking... you know good people... don't question it.

(yes, i was talking about texas on my site... thanks for not taking offense! I on;y said Hickville USA because Hannnah's dad is a hick and it drives me crazy. He was poetic when I met and fell in love with him... but he has digressed in a MAJOR way. I'm sure Texas is great... I would gladly let Hannah come stay with YOU for a few weeks!!)

mikster said...

jamie is way, way too nice of a person by her comment...I'd skip her well-intentioned advice and get to baking a cake myself.

PokerGodo said...

joking. . .Really???


Ummmm, still trying to believe that one!

Things will look up!!! and Queen B will get what's coming to her!

Trina said...

Oh Steff that is horrible! I think one of the most stressful parts of any job is the politics. (Not that I know personally working at home, but my dh has had his battles in this arena.) Just keep doing the right thing and you will be blessed for it. Killing someone with kindness is honestly very powerful, and yet its very difficult to do. Pray for strength.

Tracy O'Brien said...

Steff I think that you are handling this really maturely. Keep you chin up, ask God for strength and don't lower yourself to her level. What Queen B is doing is childish and silly, she is an intelligent woman and should know better. In fact I think in time she will really regret what she has done. That is why you have to contine on, work hard and get the jobs wherever you can. I hope things turn up for you, don't get yourself too upset, it is a nasty situation but what goes around comes around. She will realise the error of her ways and will feel horrible for being so mean to you. Even if she doesn't.. you have done nothing wrong so sleep easy :) Take care,
Baloobas xx
ps. thanks for your kind words they really meant a lot xx

Steff said...

Rachael: Networking...sometimes I hate it. Hannah probably wouldn't have that much fun with me...I'm not nearly as wild as her mother!!

Jamie: Thanks for the words of wisdom. I just have this issue with letting stuff go, but I think you're right. If she acts this way at her job, do I really want to feel like I'm indebted to her if I end up getting a job there? I'm not so sure.

Mike: Yes, Jamie is a very sweet lady! And no...no cake baking!

Shari: Yeah I know...I have a thing about not letting it go, but I can't seriously commit murder (or induce the trots!) so I'm just going to ignore her the best I can and make some new contacts.

Trina: I'll pray and you pray too! Being kind to someone who isn't kind back is hard work. But, from previous experience, I know it is worth the work and I'll get a blessing somewhere down the road!

Baloobas: You're right. Everyone is right. It's just nice to have some people (even the internet kind) on my side! Missed you lately...hope all is well!

Trina said...

Hey Steff,
You know what, I will say a prayer about it tonight when I go to bed.
Goodnight :)

PokerGodo said...

you said, "I'm going to kill her with kindness cause I can't just flat out kill her.

I'm joking people."

I read it as you were joking about killing her with kindness. And that is what I had a hard time believing. I think you are good at killing people with kindness.

Now that I know from personal experience. . . .


At least I don't think so. . . . I've always taken your kindness in that you actually liked me . . . . .


I hope you weren't killing me with kindness. . . . .



Oh, well, if you were, I wouldn't know the difference.

Anonymous said...

Steffany, I'm thinking of you and I sure hope the job well... well I hope it runneth over soon. Also, I'll be praying for you as you continue to look for a permanent position.