Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Relief...Not Here (Updated)

GRRR I'm having job woes once again. I was pretty sure that I had my summer job lined up and in the bag. The after school job was supposedly suppose to flow into a summer program. Well, due to some weird twists of events I'm not sure I'm still employed. Here is what I know (I know...another list but they help me think):

1. I asked the week before school was out if I was going to be working. I asked my immediate supervisor and she said yes. And at one point I'd even been asked if I'd work 40 hours a week.

2. I got sick (allergies...the darn things) and I missed two days (the final two days) and the appreciation banquet. I'm sure missing two consecutive days in the beginning stages (about four weeks into the job) of a job isn't a good thing.

3. I called to see what the summer schedule was (since I'd missed the last day) and was told that they weren't sure everyone would be staying on because they hadn't finished up with summer enrollment. Call back next week (today) and we'll know something.

4. I called today and was passed around like a platter of chocolate dipped fruit. Finally, I spoke to the same lady that told me to call today. She said that they are still processing the enrollments and that I'll know something by Friday.

5. I'm not calling again until Friday afternoon if I haven't heard anything.

6. While I have one more pretty decent paycheck coming from the school district, I'm taking a mini vacation (Arlington...scrapbooking...$$$$) next Friday.

So, instead of being relieved tonight I'm just full of more questions:

1. Will I have a summer job?

2. How can I make $150 go the furthest at convention?

3. Should I start looking for another job?

4. How the heck do I not worry about stuff like this?

5. What should I have for dinner? (Yeah this isn't really related to the job but it is about that time...)

So there you have it. A day that should have come with answers and a deep sense of relief has left me less than satisfied and still full of questions.

UPDATE: I was called on Thursday and told that I didn't have enough senority to be kept on. I was a little disappointed, but I think I've got some options. My great grandmother's house needs some serious cleaning and organizing before it can be sold so my mom is seeing about just paying me to do it. This would be a blessing because I can still sleep late (always a plus!) and if I need to travel for job interviews (you know...the whole teaching thing) the "boss" will probably let me off without much trouble. And then my CofM&N friend (love ya Sophia!!!) let me know about a possible job opening that wouldn't be bad either. I went and applied for that yesterday so we'll see what happens. I appreciate all the thoughts and well wishes.

12 comments:

Tracy O'Brien said...

oh I hear you girl! Feels just like what I'm going through at the moment.. I really hope that they contact you soon and put you out of your misery! It's the not knowing that's making it so stressful. There's no harm in looking for another job.. it keeps your options open and you'd never know what you might stumble across! Hope it works out for you x

*~Annette~* said...

Wow.... hope something pans out for you soon!! Hate that "in limbo" feeling.

I'm green with envy about Arlington, though. Be on the lookout for some super cute things. And don't be afraid to CALL ME if you see something that I've got to have..... *hint hint...*

mikster said...

Well...my job offer still stands...if things don't work out for ya down there.

*snickers*

Steff said...

Baloobas: Thanks for the encouraging words! They did call and I'm officially in misery. Want ads here I come!

Annette: No longer in limbo and I'm actually kind of glad about that. I'm green that you're in Florida soaking up the sand, ocean, and sun!!!

D. Ox: Yes, I know. But I'm really bad at waiting and not knowing. Well, it happened and now I'm back to waiting and seeing. Grrr...I hate repeat lessons.

Mike: Oh just what I've always wanted to do....pick up a man's dirty underwear while wearing fish-net stockings and a skirt cut up to my butt! (said in a saccharine sweet voice with my eyes wide and my hands clasp together excitedly!)

*snickers*

mikster said...

Well...try to contain yourself lil missy.

*snickers*

mikster said...

You women don't necessarily have to stick together all the damn time! I may be clueless but I do have feelings too.

*sniffle*

WordBearer said...

Don't tell me your scrapbook. That is so nerdy. I will now go back to my Dungeons and Dragons game.

Beth said...

Hope you get your answers soon! Nothing worse than not knowing. Hang in there-sending some positive thoughts your way!

Steff said...

Mike: It'll be tough but I'll try.

Jamie: I know! And as for Mike...he doesn't have a clue. You can get down on the corner of mean and nasty...he just hasn't had the chance to see it! LOL

Mike: Awww poor baby...we'll be by to drop some ego boosting on your blog :)

Wordbearer: Even Dick can't save you from the wrath of scrapbooking women. You've been warned.

Beth: I need to post an update, but thank you so much for the encouraging words and thoughts! I appreciate them :)

WordBearer said...

Scrapbooking women...wasn't that a crapmetal band in the 80's?

I fear you not. I'm more afraid of clowns than anything.

Sophia said...

Chuckle... I guess Wordbearer hasn't seen a women's wrath. I know that things will look up for you.
Yes Mike we stick together because of guys like you

Staci said...

Hope you get that other job.
Have tons of fun at the convention!!