Thursday, August 17, 2006

Tell Someone

Okay, for any sensitive readers, I'm about to go off on a rant that could be perceived as self-righteous and judgmental. There...that's your warning.

I'm so sick of those commercials about how living with your STD is manageable and darn right easy with the help of a little pill. But the one that really infuriates me is the one that has all the women saying that they want to tell someone (usually their friend, their daughter, their niece, their whatever female) about the link between cervical cancer and a common virus. HPV is the "common" virus that can be linked to cervical cancer.

Well, guess what? HPV isn't a common virus. The flu is a common virus. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. There are 100 different types of HPV but the ones that are linked to cervical cancer are the sexually transmitted types. Perhaps they mean common as in 20 million Americans have HPV. I'm not one of them because I'm picky when it comes to my sexual partners. Apparently, there are a lot of people out there who aren't. And, while that isn't the way I chose to lead my life, I'm not judging those who do handle their health in such a frivolous manner. But if someone is going to make a commercial educating me on the dangers of cervical cancer and HPV then I'd appreciate being told that HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. That way I don't have to worry if I've been exposed and if my cervical health is in jeopardy.

Oh, and while I think it's a good idea to "tell someone" about the link between cervical cancer and HPV, I think it's even more important to educate those young women about HPV and how to avoid it. I think as a generation, STDs have become so common place that no one thinks twice about trying to educate people on how to avoid them. It's much easier to just help them deal with living with STDs.

All information was provided by http://tell-someone.hpv.com .

Thanks for telling me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steff, I couldn't agree more. The thing that really irks me is that all the commercials for the prescriptions for STD's imply that once your on a drug for treatment your life will be as perfectly normal and carefree as it was before. Give me a break!

Steff said...

You're right. Heck if I didn't know any better and just saw one of those commercials I'd think having an STD wasn't a bad thing. They are so misleading the people...especially the young people.

Earl said...

I'm not afraid to judge. Quit having random sex, and quit exposing yourself to STDs while doing so. People who do that are stupid.

Thank you.

PokerGodo said...

You go girl!!

WordBearer said...

Wow I must be rubbing off on you. The angry rant is my turf by the way.

I agree with you totally. I really dislike those comercials as well. The best one is where the lady is hugging her boyfriend/husband/f**k buddy while telling us all how easy her herpes are to manage now that she has Valtrex. I half-expected the guy to push away from her and say "What the hell did you just say?"