Monday, November 20, 2006

Curl Up And Dye (Updated)

***Update....my hair is still in the same condition it was yesterday when I wrote this post. Unfortunately, my eyebrows and eye lid can't say the same.

I'd like to start this off by saying that I'm not snobby when it comes to my hair. I use Pert, I don't do fancy updos, and I don't spend upwards of $75 on hair cuts. I'm pretty simple. When I was growing up my mom took me to a little salon where I got a haircut for under $10. The same lady has been cutting my hair (and when I started waxing she did that too) for a long time. She was great. Up until I moved away I could walk in and she just knew what I'd want done. Okay that was probably due to the fact that she'd been doing the same cut for years but you get the point. When you get a great cut and good service for under $10 why complain or go some where else?

I mentioned that my beloved hairstylist had moved away, but I decided to give the same salon a shot. I walked in and I should have walked right back out. Anyway, there were only two ladies and a man (a very gay man...I'm not being judgmental but just saying the man was gay). One of the ladies had at one time given my mom a very BAD haircut and style so I wasn't letting her touch my hair. The other lady was someone I'd never seen and was in the process of coloring someone else's hair. When the lady asked if I was ready I told her that I'd changed my mind about the cut, but that I still wanted to get my eyebrows waxed. She said she didn't do waxing, but she'd let the guy know.

Now, I should have grabbed my purse and ran from the salon when he said "Are you Steffany? Well, hi sugar...go jump up there on my couch and I'll be right with you." I didn't...much to my regret. Anyway, I got over there and he comes over and tells me to close my eyes. I explained what I wanted done and he half listened. I'm sure he thought he knew more about what I wanted than I did.

Well, he got started. He dripped wax cream all over my forehead and eyes. Some of the cream even got in my eye...that stuff stings. Then he literally ripped the wax off. I'm used to waxing so it doesn't bother me anymore but it did smart. Then he left to go gab about someone's color job. I was starting to get peeved. He came back and again made a mess with the wax. He explained my questioning of why it was all over my face away with a short (and sing-songy gay tone of voice) "Well honey some times the wax is runny...you never know what you're going to get." Well thank you Forrest.

I was already starting to flinch (this guy was rough!) and I'd had it with the wax all over my face. I put my hand up (probably to grab his wrist but I'll never know) and the next thing I know he's laid a cloth over my eyelid. Now I know I have several male readers so you probably don't know that you'd never wax or rip cloth off your eyelid, but the ladies will understand. He rips the cloth off...along with about an inch long length of skin cells. I had tears in my eyes it hurt so bad. I gasped out that he'd hurt me and he replied with "Well, I'm trying to hurry." I pointed out that I wasn't in a hurry, but he just swabbed the open abrasion with alcohol. I almost came out of the couch/chair thing. At that point I just wanted to leave. My eye was throbbing and frankly I was shocked at the treatment I was receiving.

He handed me a mirror where I discovered that he'd completely made a mess of my face. One eyebrow was crooked, there was still stray hairs he hadn't managed to rip out, and the strings from the cloth were in my hair, eyebrows, and face. I wiped my face and he said that he'd meet me at the front.

I shouldn't have paid, but at this point I was ready to burst into tears so I just paid and left. I didn't say a single word to him and didn't make eye contact. I cried all the way home (well to the grocery store where I had to pull it together but then again when I was back in the car all the way home.) I couldn't understand why my eye hurt so bad until I got home and got a good look. He had left about a one inch strip of burned skin on my eyelid from where he'd waxed. And then I figured the alcohol bath was also causing the stinging.

My mom took one look at my face and told me to put an ice pack on and to hand her the phone. She asked for the name and number of the owner. The guy (the same gay, sing-songy voiced, couldn't wax his own butt guy) hung up on my mom. She's way too nice and said they got disconnected but I think he just hung up. Anyway, they wouldn't give out the number but they did say the owner would be there Friday. My mom is planning on calling then. I love it when she's on my side and kicks butt for me!

Anyway, while my eye isn't stinging it sure is ugly looking this morning. The burn now has a reddish brown tint to it so it's very noticeable. I was aiming to be noticed (with the new hairstyle) but this isn't exactly what I had in mind.

I normally don't put names and places on my blog, but if you're in Abilene please...DO NOT go to Abilene Hairlines. ******

Tomorrow I'm making a huge change...I'm getting my hair cut and highlighted. For all of you out there that probably doesn't sound like such a big thing or even a bloggable thing, but for me my hair is my safety blanket. So this is a big thing.

I've had the same hair style (shoulder length with extremely long layers so it has a gentle flip at the end) for many years. Actually five I think. I grew my bangs out so they are the same shoulder length as the rest of my hair. I like this cut...I really do. It looks great with my face shape and it's easy to maintain. It's also versatile...sleek and shiny when worn down, soft waves when not blown dry, and for days when I'm just not in the mood to mess with it...looks great in a pony tail. My hairstyle works!

So, if this one works...why the change?

Well, did I mention this is the same hairstyle I've had since I started college? I'm beginning to look dated. It needs a little life thrown into it. It took about a month to come to a decision about this and decide what I wanted. I'm getting highlights (probably reddish toned ones...I don't think I'd look good blond but I'm reserving judgment until I meet with my hair stylist) and going back to bangs as they seem to be "in" right now. I think I'm going to stick with the same length, but I'd like to try shorter layers...kinda of that spiky look. Well, a soft spiky look.

Now for the dramatic portion of the story...isn't there always a dramatic portion of the story with me??? I have a friend whose sister I like and she does a great job with hair. She in my new town, but since I was going to be home I thought I'd let the lady who has always cut my hair do the job...considering this is a major thing. I called while I was driving in Friday afternoon to make my appointment. The lady that answers hurriedly tells me that she no longer works there (or even in this town for that matter) but would I like to set up the appointment with someone else. God, no! I hung up, almost in tears about who was going to cut my hair now.

When I got home I started calling around asking about prices and the such. Did you know that when it comes to highlighting there is a cap and foil choice? I didn't either! Anyway, the last place I called I asked if there was someone there who did really great hair...you know...someone with a great customer satisfaction rating. She informs me that they are all good. I didn't leave my name (that could have been considered insulting) but I am planning on walking in there tomorrow afternoon.

Wish me luck!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've devoted many a blog entry to hair changes, hair cuts, routine hair drama. I absolutely understand. By-the-way I did know about the whole cap and foil thing. I kept mine highlighted for years and my lady only did cap. Some consider the cap old-fashioned but I always liked the results and it is usually cheaper than foiling.

Good luck Steffany! =)

WordBearer said...

Well at least you have a more interesting hair cut than I do.

I shave my head every couple of days to ensure that I do not have to mess with my hair.

It makes me look like a badass...like Vin Diesel.

Edtime Stories said...

I rarely think about my hair. I have gotten $75 cuts and have gone to Great Cuts. I am comfortable with both but with Great cuts you don't need an appointment.

Steff said...

Bethany: I'm hoping that all goes smoothly so that the hair drama will be kept to a minimum.

WB: You shave your head? Hmm not exactly what I was picturing. Yes...I'm sure you're very badassy!

Ed: Men rarely think about their hair and while I don't spend a lot of money on my hair this time I am because of the coloring.

Anonymous said...

This post has indeed made me glad I'm a guy. You women and your hair drama...sheesh

*snickers*

Steff said...

Mike: Well when you're so old you don't have any hair left I suppose there isn't much drama to have huh?

*snickers*

doodlebugmom said...

Hi Steff...sorry about the bad eyebrow job...I do my own with the little strip things from walmart.

Good luck with the higlights. I love mine. I went blonder last time than i ever thought I would but really like it. (I have never had much luck with red. my styalist says its hard to make red stick). My brothers have this amazing auburn hair and could care less. Mine is naturally mouse-y brown...lol.
My hair is fairly short, not much past my shoulders, so I do the cap...much cheaper and faster.

happy thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

I've had one of those. Ended up looking like a mushroom. ICK

GO TO HAIR BY HALSA!!!!! I love love love her soooooo much. And she nice. And AWESOME.

Sophia said...

I am hearing you on the bad wax job. Mine have never come out uneven but I am with you on the hot wax. That stuff is horible. I think I know who your stylist was and she moved to the metroplex.
I hope the highlights went well. I do the foil if I want chunks and cap for all over highlights. I love my person here in town and think that the fact that she will not do something to your hair if she feels it will look bad is a plus. Remember you now have to keep up with your highlights.