Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Renter's Paradise

I love my little rent house...I really do. Some days I love it more than others, but overall it's great for me.

And then there are days like today...where it's "charms" are simply more than I can handle.

It started this morning, I had set my alarm for 5:25am so I could get up and shower, go through the morning routine, and still get to school early. Well, 5:25 rolls around and I wasn't ready to get up so I made the sleepy decision to switch to the second alarm setting and get up at 6:00am. I rolled over after what seemed like a pretty long snooze to discover it was 6:31am...where I'd set the alarm the last time. Okay...that's not really the house's fault but I'm trying to make a point. Great...just great.

So, I'm stumbling around in my bathroom trying to get the shower part of the morning over with as fast as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if I washed my hair with Zest body wash and used Pert on my body puff. Now this is a key part of the story...the water knobs turn one way and the shower knob turns the other way. Got it? Well, I turned the shower knob the wrong way and the 1970s shower knob fell apart in my hand. Great...just great.

Finally...rushing on my way out...I couldn't get the front door open. Nope...wouldn't budge. I finally pulled and it came open. I think it's swelled in the door frame...is that even possible? If you couldn't tell...I'm not going to win the Miss Handy Woman award. And I hate that little sucky sound it makes when it closes. Great...just great.

Thankfully, my day at school was so busy that I didn't have a lot of time to worry about my charming house.

I came home and remembered that in my haste this morning I'd forgotten to set the air back down. I'm new to central heat and air. Anyway, it was hot so I kicked off my shoes and was stripping off my shirt on my way to my bedroom. I pull the shirt over my head and look down...right before I step on a HUGE cockroach. I swear...that thing had to be an inch and a half long! It was on it's back with it's creepy legs flailing in the air. (I get the shivers just thinking about it.....eewww.) Anyway, I ran back to get my shoes on and put my shirt back on because I'm opening the back door to toss it out instead of flushing it. I run to get a paper towel to pick it up. I come back...and it's gone! That huge, creepy cockroach is crawling around my room somewhere.

I was flipping out. My father takes care of the bugs...not me. I was carefully lifting the covers on my bed, picking up clothes from the floor. Finally I spot his cockroachy butt near my closet. Forget the kind part of me that was going to set him free....I'm stepping on his butt and flushing him. (Sorry to all of you reading who like to be kind to nature...but I'm not kind to nature...especially when it's in my house!) Well...at least I can sleep easy. This may not sound like a house problem, but it is...how did it get in my house?!

Anyway, I'm armed with a new shower knob (though how to get it on is a little concerning) and Raid so tonight should be charm-free.

Uhmm...I really could use all the advice one might have to offer about putting on new knobs. I'm just saying.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing with you, not at you....honest!

Edtime Stories said...

I am laughing at you. Right of passage dear when it comes to living alone.

As for the knob,well I bet you can figure out how it works...

Anonymous said...

Steffany, even I am not nice to THAT kind of nature! I hope you had luck with your shower knob.

Steff said...

Mike: I wasn't laughing! And I know that you're laughing at me...I just know it.

Ed: Well...at least you're honest. I don't know about the knob thing. I'm not tool inclined.

Bethany: I didn't know if you were ghost reading or not, but I put that part about nature in just for you...remember my opinion of the frog? Anyway...glad to know you're not thinking horrible of me for sending him to his grave!

WordBearer said...

Wish I could help. I'm a tool, but not tool inclined.

Have no fear of roaches. They can't hurt you...until they hit an inch and a half. That is when they start getting a taste for blood.

Steff said...

WB: Not funny...almost as not funny as when my dad said when I stepped on it the eggs of a thousand baby roaches seeped into my carpet.

You men...you think you're so funny.

Anonymous said...

Steffany, I thought that nature bit might have been for me. ;)

Sophia said...

Sorry Steff sounds like a yucky day. I think these things only happen to those of use who cann't use tools.
My advice is go to DIY and find directions. You can do it!!!!