Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What A Faker

I'm a faker people! I'm not just faking a little...nope I'm faking all over the place. And I'm probably faking the worst type of thing...a friendship.

There is this woman. The first time I met her, I thought "Gosh I hope I never have to work with her!" so I was relieved when I found out she wasn't even in my grade level. Now, she's the freaking team leader of second grade due to brown-nosing. And did I mention...she's annoying as hell. She has this fake personality. She loves to clasp her hands in front of her and blink her eyes at you in way that screams "Hurry up...what you have to say is not as important as what I have to say." Not only is this person the team leader...she's my mentor. Grrr. Anyway, about five weeks ago, the other new teacher and I (the very disappointed mentees) went to the councilor and expressed some concerns we had. And the concerns were valid: 1. She's never taught second grade...great insight there. 2. Did I mention the annoyingly sweet personality? 3. She never talks to us...ever. If we need help we have to ask...she never meets us half way.

Well, when she found out we'd talked about her to someone in administration she was furious. She yelled and then later apologized. Trying to make the best of a not so good situation we agreed to try to make it work. Well, for me...that meant faking it. Now, she thinks we're friends. I wouldn't consider us friends but apparently she does. I do feel guilty about it because while she's not my favorite person and I want to run every time I see her I keep acting friendly. For example, when I had my Halloween party and invited all the second grade teachers I had to invite her because it would have seemed awkward if I didn't. She came...the nerve. So, when she invited me to a party at her house I felt compelled to go. At my party she noticed my scrapbook hobby. Guess what her hobby is? So, the day after her party she brought her scrapbook for me to look at it. It was good...I won't begrudge her a great scrapbook, but then today she invited me to a scrapbooking party at her house Friday. If you knew me you'd know I had a scrapbooking weakness...I said yes. (I'm screaming aaahhh and covering my head with my hands.) I'm such a faker!

So, the dilemma...what is the polite way to go back to just being acquaintances and not being friends? And am I a horrible person for not liking her but giving the impression that I do?

6 comments:

Edtime Stories said...

well, it does suck to have to work with someone like this. Faking it is a fact of life. Friendship takes work so if you could let it die on the vine.
hugggg but try to have fun on Friday. :)

Deb said...

Be civil, but don't play into her 'fakeness'.

It has to be exhausting to go to that length to be fake, you know? I wonder how she really is...when she's being herself. Hmm.

Hang in there!

Steff said...

Ed: Friendships really do take work. I'm not sure I even like her...I shouldn't be working so hard.

Deb: It's funny...I think she's always this way. I heard someone say (who has worked there longer than me) that everyone likes her husband and then wonders how he stands his wife...LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh the drama!!!....just bitchslap her and apologize (sweetly) of course.

Problem solved.

Steff said...

Mike: Do I detect some sarcasm in your voice?! Do you have some personal experience with this method of working it out? I like my job so the slapping is out. But thanks for the suggestion.

Sophia said...

Steff just think you are almost half way through the year and you could find ways to stay busy and avoid her. With the holidays coming up you could just simply stay to busy to socialize with the women.