Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Conversation Piece

I finally got around to setting up and playing with my digital camera software. It's been a rough go of it...I'm NOT technically savvy so this was torture. I'm sure there is some easy way to get my pictures to the right places and make sure that they are cropped and edited to my liking, but as of yet I've not discovered this way.

This is my conversation piece. It sits in the far corner of my living room on the hope chest next to the entertainment center. My mom and I came up with the idea while we were unpacking things and I was getting settled into my new home. I love it and I think it's beautiful!

The suitcase belonged to my great grandmother (who passed away this year). It's hard sided and the address tag still bares the address of a long ago place. The suitcase reminds me of my love for travel and adventure.

The picture inside is a cross-stitched saying that my mom did for me a few years ago. It also has suitcases on it and says "Life is a journey." I put it in the suitcase because life for me is always a journey and an adventure.

The mask is something I fell in love with in New Orleans. This picture does it NO justice. It's baby pink, the feathers are soft to the touch, and the mask is made completely of sequins. It's beautiful. I was in New Orleans several years ago on a holiday trip with a friend. I look at that mask and I can still feel the nip in the air, the mighty Mississippi flowing along, the hustle of Jackson Square, hear the Christmas carols coming from the cathedral, taste the delicious pasteries and coffee. I love that feeling.

The gloves and handkerchiefs are also from my great grandmother. I look at them and think of times long ago when ladies wore gloves and hats to Sunday service and added a touch of style to a plain handkerchief with embroidery. They've been on a long journey themselves.

It sits in the corner reminding me of where I come from, where I've been, and all the dreams and places I still have to go.

3 comments:

mikster said...

I failed to see any pj's...what kind of suitcase has no pj's?

*snickers*

Steff said...

Mike: You have a one track mind. Pjs will always be our "thing" won't it? *snickers*

Anyway, in answer to your question...the kind that sits in the living room. :)

Steff said...

Deb had a little trouble getting this posted, but since its so sweet I wanted to go ahead and post it!

That's definitely a little treasure you have there! A reminder of the adventures your grandmother once had, and a reminder that there are many more for you to come!
This photo is great! Hope you're doing well Steff!"




http://dtrant.blogspot.com