Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Curse Of The White Elephant

Number of Christmas cards received: 7
Number of gifts from the kids: 1
Shopping days left: 8

The faculty Christmas party was last night. It wasn't mandatory that we go, but since it was my first Christmas party with HISD and I'm always up for a party I went. We had to come hungry (yes, that was written on the invite) and bring a white elephant gift to exchange.

Well, a few of the girls decided that the Christmas party would be even better if we went to a happy hour before going to the party. I know how this sounds. It wasn't that bad. No one showed up drunk but I do think a pleasant buzz was felt by a few. No names to protect the intoxicated!

The Christmas party was originally supposed to be held at this gorgeous lake house, but apparently a lot of people RSVPed so they changed our location to the La Quinta Inn banquet room. Now, I know you may be asking just what kind of fun a group of educators can have at a motel...well let me tell you...the Christmasy kind of fun.

As promised, the dinner was good. We had steak, potatoes, green beans, salad, rolls, and some sort of cobbler crisp thing. We played a few party games. I was nominated as the person at my table with the most Christmas spirit, so I had to go up and stand in a line. Each person was supposed to sing a few lines from a Christmas carol. No carol could be repeated. I did great the first few rounds (Santa Baby, O Christmas Tree, and Go Tell It On The Mountain) but then I went blank. I can't believe I got up and sang in front of my co-workers. At least it wasn't on the table!

The white elephant Christmas gift exchange was next on the agenda. I found something from around my house to give. It was this black monstrosity of a candle holder thing-a-ma-bob. My mom had gotten it at some point and it didn't match her decor so off it was handed. Anyway, I packed it up, wrapped it, and stuck a pretty bow on it. It was a huge box so I thought that might draw people in. Apparently big gifts are avoided at these elephant things. Well, I was second in line for the drawing. Second in line is a horrible place to be! My first gift was this neat photo box thing. I was happy with that. About six people later it was stolen. My next pick wasn't so good. I got these two red and white heart glass ornaments. They are UGLY. Actually UGLY doesn't really do them justice. They are pretty darn terrible. But I suppose nothing says Merry Christmas like some Valentine's Day hearts! At least I'm set for next year's gift.

Anyway, today is my baking day. Yep, you read that right. Even though I normally set off the smoke detector and not everything that comes out of my oven looks good, I'm making some banana nut bread to give as gifts. Don't you wish you were on my Christmas list!? I bought some really pretty material and I'm going to do a little cloth wrap with ribbon. It'll look pretty on the outside at least. I also have a few cheese balls to make. That is one thing that I do make well...it's always a hit. And of course, there is another party tonight.

Inside the house it looks and feels like Christmas. I plugged in my tree (pictures coming very soon!), wrapping paper and gifts are scattered about, and I'm doing holiday baking. Outside the house it looks and feels like summer. It's bright, sunny, and a balmy 77 degrees out today. Despite that I'm excited....Christmas is almost here!!!

8 comments:

Deb said...

Mmmm, that banana bread sounds delicious. The party sounded as though it was fun though! Glad you had a good time.

Enjoy getting festive this week!

WordBearer said...

Happy Hour?!!

I guess I am more of an Unhappy Hour kinda of guy.

Steff said...

Deb: Well, it's the end of the day and one batch is a little brown/black on the edge...is that still okay to give? LOL

WB: Our happy hour was great. Not just because of the potent drinks but because it was a group of friends getting together to relax and unwind.

Tracy O'Brien said...

hey Steff! Hope all is well with you, just making a quick visit to wish you Merry Christmas xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Steff, Rob here. It is Dec 19th and its snowing up here in Eastern Canada,,urgggh. lol. The white elephant idea sounds like fun. You have a great week, and don't get too wraped up in the frenzy. Bi for now Rob.

*~Annette~* said...

White elephants are always fun. LOL... I'm heading to FL this week!! But it will be about 65 and cooler. Not the typical warm sunny FL.

Åsa said...

Hi! It sounds like a fun party! You are brave to sing solo at a party like that :- )

Enjoy the Holidays!

Mike Stewart said...

It sounds like a great party Steff! Wish I was there to hear you sing those Chirstmas carols! Merry Christmas to all!

Mike