Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Kan U Spel?

Whew...it's the holiday!!!! The grades are in, the kids are gone, and it's two weeks of rest and relaxation for me. Today was the Christmas party and it went really well. Crazy...but really good. I got a lot of sweet gifts from my kids. My personal favorite...a $20 gift certificate to my favorite nail salon! Anyway, I'm ready for the break for a lot of reasons and I fully intend to enjoy myself!

Last week our kids had to take the spelling bee pre-test to see if they qualified for the spelling bee that will take place in February. I am a terrible speller! I was a kid that memorized for the test, but I never learned how to spell. So, now when I'm teaching spelling I pay extra attention. Anyway, checking the pre-tests was a jolly good time. These kiddos invented spellings were pretty terrible! And the worst part...I could relate!

Just for kicks I'm going to post the kids' spellings and then tomorrow I'll post the actual word. See how many you can get!

1. garwrog.....gorodg
2. mamith......manith
3. caffitirea......cathertia
4. tamaha......tomuhok
5. harmanicka......hmoncker
6. nockleyis......nogleeass
7. mankeyore......menuqor
8. kampan......campain
9. adecet......edicket
10. morryachey......maryochy

9 comments:

Christina_the_wench said...

Poor things. But they tried! And you got gifts.

Mike Stewart said...

Ah two weeks off for Christmas vacation! I vividly remember how us kids looked forwarded to that (and it's been over 50 years ago for me!). We didn't realize then that the teachers were jumping for joy even more than us!

Where I live in California the kids don't get their two weeks off until after Friday's classes. The old way of one week before Christmas and one week after seemed much better to me.

Ooooh...your kids spell almost as good as I do Steff. Thank God for Spellcheck! Along with math, I think spelling is becoming a lost art with today's kids. u kno wat i mean?

Steff said...

Christina: Yes..they got lots of brownie points for trying! And oh yeah...gifts make everything better. LOL.

Mike: With the new laws about when we can start, our superintendent told us to enjoy these days of vacation as next year the days might be shortened.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steff, those spellings are way too funny. The sad part is I got most of them..lol. Wow you teachers really deserve this break. I am amazed how you do it. I would not have the nerves to do your job. Enjoy the holiday, and all the best in 2007 for you Steff. Bi Rob

Jaded said...

Here are my guesses:

Garage
Mammoth
Cafeteria
Tomahawk
Harmonica
Nucleus
(I have no idea what #7 is)
Campaign
Etiquette
Mariachi

I did pretty well, I think, considering I haven't taught in a classroom in like 8 years! (I used to teach Special Ed.)

Thanks for stopping by. You can come by and wrap presents for me any time you'd like...I hate it!

Steff said...

Rob: I think the kiddos and teachers alike were ready for the holiday break! Merry Christmas!

Jaded: You did great! (If you were wondering about the spellings see above...and number seven is manicure.) Thanks for stopping by. I've been trying to branch out on who I read. :)

*~Annette~* said...

OMG!! I totally thought of you when I came up with the BEST teacher gift EVER! Remember, I AM a teacher. And what do you get a LOT of? COFFEE MUGS. So, my solution? A SLEDGE HAMMER. (you can laugh, becaue I thought it was outrageously funny...)

Anonymous said...

How cute?

Edtime Stories said...

I love invented spellings.......
huggggggg for Christmas