Sunday, December 24, 2006

Wrapping Paper Snob

Hours left till Christmas: Less than 12 (better get going if you're a last minute shopper!)
Presents that still need to be wrapped: 4

Christmas isn't about the presents, but admit it...who doesn't enjoy a beautifully wrapped gift under the tree with her name on it? There is just something about gifts under the tree that have been wrapped, ribboned, and bowed with love just for you! And in that is my confession...I'm a wrapping paper snob.

Yes, me. I'm of the opinion that gifts should look pretty. I like for the paper to all match or be of the same color or design variety. I enjoy ribbons and bows. And don't forget the to/from label. These are all important elements to a beautifully wrapped gift.

Now, before people start turning the cold shoulder I should point out that just because I like pretty wrapping doesn't mean that I don't understand that it's the thought that counts. And besides...if you're giving me a present I'm going to like it no matter what. I just happen to like having an attractive present to look at.

I remember the days when I got to help my mom wrap my dad's presents and vise versa. At that point the finer points of folding and taping were beyond me. I had this squish and bend technique that looked like some blind and handless person did the wrapping. Oh...and a love of tape. That unfortunately hasn't changed. Without careful attention I could easily make a present impossible to get into without some sort of cutting device. Anyway, somewhere along the way (thanks to my mom no doubt) I learned how to fold the paper to have a smooth edge. I perfected the folding of the corners for that wrapped up tight look on the ends. I learned to tie the perfect bow and how to get my ribbon to curl just so.

It wasn't until I started buying my own wrapping paper did I start coordinating the papers. Last year I had a blue, green, silver, snowflake thing going on. All my paper matched and worked together beautifully. The to/from labels were glittery snowflake cutouts and all the ribbons and bows matched the color theme. I was very proud of those gifts. I enjoyed the wrapping and perfecting and I think it showed. This year...I went for a more country look. I had debated about brown paper and raffia decorations, but there were just so many beautiful papers to choose from!

I'm sitting in the family room looking at our tree this year. My gifts are all wrapped in boxes with straight edges with bows and ribbons. My parents have a more eclectic mix going on. And while I still like the idea of all the presents having the same feel and look...this hodge podge of wrapping is quite beautiful. Maybe there is hope for this wrapping snob after all...lol.

So, what drives a person to this kind of obsessive snobbery? Frankly, I don't know. I find wrapping a little therapeutic. I used to ask to wrap all the family gifts and my mom gladly turned the job over to me. I had the whole present section of the tree wrapped up tight and shiny with bows and curling ribbons. As a matter of fact, those four gifts that still need wrapping...their presents that they saved for me to wrap. Maybe I need some therapy for this condition, but for now I enjoy it.

So, to all you out there...happy wrappings!

2 comments:

*~Annette~* said...

Merry Christmas!!! I mailed your card from FL... so it should be there soon.

And I LOVE pretty presents. I like to do that, but with three boys, it ain't worth it. Maybe when they are older....

Anonymous said...

Somehow that does not surprise me about the coordinating paper thing.
That is what makes you "wonderful YOU"