Monday, January 01, 2007

Hello 2007!

Happy New Year!

Ah, the start of a new year. A clean slate. A brand new calendar just itching to be filled up with all sorts of activities and adventures. I can't wait!

Today is the day for making these so called resolutions. I usually suck at keeping any resolutions that I make, so this year I thought I'd do something a little different. Perhaps my resolutions are too restricting in the fact that if I mess up well then it's all over. Or maybe they are too deep. I mean...am I really going to change the world or leave a lasting mark in one year? So, while I'm resolving to battle those pesky pounds on my hips, not grumble when I'm exercising (at least not as much), and work on leaving that mark I'm going to make some "fluff" resolutions too.

1. Scrapbook more! I think I've completed three things since I moved. That was six months ago people...I love to scrapbook. I love staring at a blank 12X12 and knowing that something creatively great is going to be the result. Plus, I've made quite a few friendships through scrapbooking. Look out paper, trimmer, and herma fix...here I come!

2. Make my bed every day...every other day...okay fine...at least twice a week. My mom used to stressed the importance of making one's bed. I think my favorite example was what if you lived in an efficiency and your bed was in the living room. A made bed can bring a calming sense of organization...or at least that is what I tell myself. I never know who might pop in so I'll keep my sheets untangled and my pajamas folded under the pillows.

3. Send more mail happiness. I love sending snail mail. I get this happy for no reason feeling when I get a card or piece of mail that isn't some sort of bill or junk. Besides, who wouldn't enjoy getting a little something that says someone was thinking of you and wanted you to know it? Anyway, I used to do it all the time. Greeting cards are kind of a weakness of mine. But, lately I've been too busy to sign my name to a card. So, cards check. Stamps check. Address book check.

4. Organize...everything....everywhere. I'm starting small with my scrapbooking room. Well, come to think of it that might actually be a big one. Anyway, life has to be simpler when things are where they should be....right? I like to think I'm organized but yeah...not so much. So, baby steps.

5. Take more time for just me. I have a pretty busy social calendar and I can find myself stretched to my limits. I've never wanted to be a person who stayed home every night watching tv and being a hermit, but when your energy tank is running on empty more than full...well staying at home and vegging in front of the tv doesn't sound all that bad. I'll find my TV Guide and the remote and I'll be all set.

6. Read. Trashy romance novels are my weakness and recently my buying habits are still up there, but the reading is going down. I have two shelves of books just waiting to be read. I start a book and then I put it down because I need to grade papers or I need to do laundry. Well, I'm picking up those books and I'm going to read at least two books a month. Maybe more...but no less!

7. Cook...something...every week. I like to cook. I like to watch those cooking shows and I always think "I could do that!" Well, maybe I can't always do that, but I've got a few cookbooks and cooking magazines and a willing spirit. I'm going to try a new recipe every week. Someone told me that practice makes perfect...even in cooking. I hope the smoke alarms don't disturb my neighbors!

So, there you go. My list of year long goals. Sure, they aren't mind stretching or peace creating things, but I think they'll all make me a more well rounded person. And that's what resolutions are all about right? It's not just about denying yourself something or forcing yourself to do something. It's about making you a better individual. And I'm all for that!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great resolutions, all of them.

I may steal one or two myself.

Thanks.

Fin

Steff said...

Fin: I wonder why resolutions are only made in January? I feel like I should add another:

8. If any of the above resolutions crumble or become irrelevant than I'll change them...right then and there. Even if it's June or something.

Deb said...

Resolutions are always made to be broken. ;) I think any day is a good day to make healthy changes. I have to start sometime....SOON! GeeZ!

Happy New Year girl!

Anonymous said...

You left a note on my JS entry, thus returning, lol, maybe not a favor, but a comment. Yep, your writing matches your personal description. Have a great year. I suspect you shall as I sense a person who almost always smiles.

Steff said...

Deb: You know...maybe I should add one more resolution...something that like you said is written in the express hope of being broken!

Anonymous: I left a few comments around JS this morning so I can't place you, but thanks for stopping by. And yes, your sensing would be correct...I smile a lot. Confuses people!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steffany, love the list! Happy, happy New Year.

Christina_the_wench said...

Man, you have guilted me into making some of these. Dang it! ;)

Leesa said...

I love the snail mail resolution. I think I will make that one myself.

Mike Stewart said...

All worthwhile resolutions Steff! As we all know the vast majority of New Year's resolutions soon fall by the wayside but I think it's a good thing to reflect on how you can improve yourself and your life in the coming year. Sometimes you actually can keep one or two of the resolutions...and that's a good thing! Happy New Year!

Steff said...

Bethany: Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if you'd fallen off into the Mighty Mississippi!

Christina: Guilted...nah...not me!

Leesa: It is a good one to snatch! I have a drawer in my desk that looks like a mini Hallmark store. I do love a good card :)

Mike: Thanks! I'm sure a few of these will go off track at times, but that is why there are so many of them...lol.

Anonymous said...

Haven't fallen in yet... just so busy. Getting ready for Christmas almost killed me, but now I think I get to read blogs again.

Anonymous said...

Haven't fallen in yet... just so busy. Getting ready for Christmas almost killed me, but now I think I get to read blogs again.

WordBearer said...

I never make New Year's resolutions. I can never keep them. Last years was to drink less. In fact I drank more.

Glad to see you will be cooking. That is one thing I really enjoy. Nothing is better than puttering around the kitchen for a couple of hours.

Tonight I am going to make taco soup.

Sophia said...

You are going to keep these resolutions because they are who you are and you will find yourself again soon. Happy belated new year