Saturday, February 24, 2007

An Early-To-Bed-er

Last night I made a startling discovery....I'm actually an old fart in the body of a young and fresh twenty-something. It's okay. I had to take a moment to let it set in too.

This all came about because a friend wanted me to come over and hang out last night. Normally, I'd jump at the chance, but last night it was about 9:30 when she called. I should add in that I was coming off of a touch of the stomach virus so that might have played a part...though an extremely small one. Anyway, I glanced at my clock (9:34pm) and then I took in my surroundings (under the covers, in my bed, in my pajamas, with sleepy crusts already forming in the corner of my eyes) and decided that it was just "too late" for tonight.

And then that is when she lowered the boom on me..."You're such an old fart!". Okay, so I admit...I like to go to bed early. I still have a bedtime and I pretty much follow it regularly. I didn't like being called an old fart but I couldn't argue. Then came the worst part. "Oh well...it is past your bedtime. Sleep tight Granny! See you in the morning."

Apparently, being an old fart wasn't just a one time thing. I guess it's something I am all the time. So, it brings to mind a few questions.

What exactly is an old fart?

I think of old farts being old...really old. And they are grouchy. I'm not really old. I'm not even regularly old. I'm young. I'm in the prime of my life. I'm living the carefree life of a woman in her mid-twenties. Oh, I'm doing all that, but on the sleeping schedule of an old person. And I'm not grouchy. Okay, fine...I'm not grouchy very much. I think it's because I'm getting enough sleep people!

Is being responsible equal to being an old fart?

Just because I make sure I'm in bed where I can get a reasonable 7-8 hours of sleep a night doesn't mean I'm an old fart. It means that I'm a responsible adult. I make sure that my body has the energy to go and do all those twenty-something activities. By getting a good night's sleep, I'm being responsible with my body. Just the other day I read all kinds of benefits that come to your body from getting sleep. And, hello...the biggest one of all...I have a job that requires me to get up early (5:45 IN THE MORNING) so it just makes sense to get a good night's sleep.

What bedtime qualifies one to be an old fart?

When I think of old folks going to bed, I think of them hitting the sack in the afternoon. I definitely don't do that! So what if I go to bed about 10pm on most nights? I think that is a perfectly normal time to start winding down for the day. I think it just seems early considering that my accuser usually rolls into bed about 2am. Yeah...I don't have the sleeping habits of an old person. She has the sleeping habits of an infant...always up in the middle of the night.

Should I really have to defend my sleeping habits?

NO! My sleeping habits are keeping me healthy, well rested, and not so grouchy. I don't sleep with anyone so I'm not having to worry if someone is ready for bed. I should be able to go to bed at 10pm if I want to and you know what? Most of the time I want to!

So there it is. A twenty-something year old can also be an old fart when it comes to going to bed. Hmm...that wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

whippersnapper.
i'd write more, but it's time for my late afternoon nap, then dinner (early) so i can be back home before it gets dark.

just kidding.

there are days when i feel soooo old, then days when i wonder how i got trapped in this 40+ y.o. body.
especially when i think of the days when i would stay up till 2 or 3am, snooze for a couple of hours, then be rarin' to go for a sorority function at 7a.m.

dang kids.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I'd definitely cling to that "stomach virus" excuse.

I still remember the first time it really hit me that I was OLD. I was in my late twenties and a much younger friend and I went to Dallas for shopping. We ended up crashing at an apartment of some friends of hers. It was that weekend that I learned I was TOO OLD to sleep on a strange couch belonging to people I don't know. I would have given anything for a hotel room! It's so sad to get old. SIGH...

Edtime Stories said...

don't let others define you. sleep when you want.

Allison said...

My friends here make fun of me all the time, because I like to be in bed by 11 or 11:30...

Anonymous said...

No going to bed early on the boat like in vegas!!! I can't be trusted out alone all night.... ;-) Oh, I applied for my passport today...grrrr.....anywho, talk to you later....

love ya hon

smileymamaT said...

You're not an old fart. I'm not even one, and I'm 33. I think you should get all the regular good sleep you can. The older you get, and the more going on (and having kids) really makes you miss those good-sleep days. Your friend should knock off the smart-ass comments and grab a good night's sleep herself.
:) T