Sunday, February 25, 2007

Lakewood

I was in Houston this weekend and I had the opportunity to visit Lakewood Church. For those of you who don't know, Lakewood Church is the largest church in the United States and is pastored by Joel Osteen. That is a fact. From here on out, everything else said in this post is strictly the opinion of me, Steffany, the author of this blog.

I grew up in church. It was a Baptist church to be more precise. Our church is probably moderate in size. These days I would say that I know about half the membership directory, but in my hay day (while I still lived at home) I knew practically everyone. That fact comes from having grown up in church. My family went three times a week. I was actively involved in the youth department. I sang in the choir. The pastor knew my name. Since then, I've been a member of one other church and I regularly attend church here, but I haven't switched my membership. Through all my years, I've come to the conclusion that church isn't so much about the building or programs. It's about the people and the fellowship of like-minded believers.

My first experience with anything Lakewood or Joel Osteen came just a few months ago. My parents and I were in town looking for somewhere for me to live when I moved and it was a Sunday morning. We flipped through the TV channels and came upon the televised service at Lakewood. I will admit that Joel Osteen was a powerful preacher. The message was great and I actually found that it applied to me. I know that was when I first felt the desire to visit that church if I ever had the chance. And several times after that, I made it a point to catch the televised service on TV. I was still impressed.

Imagine my surprise and delight to discover that someone I worked with was a member of Lakewood Church. I plied her with questions like "Is he really that humble in person?", "Does he always have that plastic smile on his face?", and "What's it like to be a member of the largest church in America?". Thankfully, she was patient and answered my questions good naturedly. Anyway, when this weekend came up I asked her if we could go to Lakewood since we'd still be in town. She readily agreed that this was a great idea.

I had jokingly asked if the service was going to be like a rock concert. She looked at me a little put out and said no. Again, I jokingly said I guess that meant I couldn't ask him to sign my Bible. Yeah, that wasn't well received either. I assured her that I knew how to mind my manners and I would not cause any embarrassment for her. Unfortunately, I believe the effect of Lakewood has lost it's novelty for her. For me, it was an eye-opening experience and sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Let me explain.

Lakewood is a huge church, but I wasn't prepared for just how huge. We parked in a parking garage next to the church and took our place in a long line of people making their way up the ramps, across the street, and into the building. And the building doesn't look like a church either. It's very square and has a downtown business plaza feel. Anyway, when we went into the stadium...I mean sanctuary...well it's just as awesome looking in person as it does on the TV. We made our way down to the front section. I mentioned to one of many ushers that I was a visitor and I suppose that meant we could sit in the VIP section. It was roped off and everything.

At this point, I was sure that the message would be lost on me as I took in this massive sanctuary. There were three huge screens. On either side of the choir loft (that is a terrible description, but I'm at a loss of words to describe the two sides where the choir stood) were these rock and water type garden things. Yeah...the water flows and everything. The people...my goodness. There were so many of them. I kind of wondered if it was a camera trick that all the seats were filled. It isn't.

The church is huge and the sanctuary is lavish. There isn't anything bad or good about that...it's just a fact. I started feeling uncomfortable when the choir came in and it truly was like a rock concert. A Christian rock concert but one none the less. The choir was all but dancing up there in the loft. Hands were raised, people were clapping their hands, bodies were moving...some in a manner I don't think befitting of a church. I had asked my friend where Joel Osteen was and she told me that he and his wife come in during the first song so as not to disrupt the service. Disrupt the service? I wasn't sure what that meant.

It meant that if we lived back in Bible times and palm fronds were around these people would be waving them and crying "Hosanna". I kid you not...camera flashes were going off when Joel Osteen walked up to the pulpit. I wasn't impressed. At this point, I had to look inward and wonder what exactly I wasn't impressed with. I'm sure that Satan was playing with my heart and mind. I know that I wouldn't be able to live up to such a warm "reception" service after service, week after week without a little of it going to my head. I guess I wasn't able to leave the thought alone that he must take some pleasure in the way the congregation was behaving. I suppose the only people that know just how humble his heart is would be Joel Osteen and God.

Now, I did truly enjoy the message. I was able to put aside my distaste with the pageantry of the service and focus on that aspect. It was a good one. And just like all the rest, I was able to relate it to my own life. That is about the only thing I took away from Lakewood. My friend asked me if I wanted to go back to the visitors' reception and meet Joel Osteen and his family. At the beginning of the day I would have jumped at the chance, but by the end of the two hour service I politely declined. I think as far as my connection to Joel Osteen and Lakewood should go no further than my TV on Sunday mornings.

On the way back to her house, she asked how I enjoyed it. I told her that I enjoyed the message, but that Lakewood wouldn't be a church I would want to be a part of on a regular basis. I could tell she didn't get it and that was okay with me. She probably would find a small service at my church not to her liking. Some people can be satisfied with being part of something nationally recognized, on TV every week, not being known from Adam by their pastor, and all the production. I couldn't.

I'm still going to watch Joel Osteen on TV (I do like the way he preaches) but I can't help but wonder what Joel Osteen would be like without the stadium, the cameras in peoples' faces (yes, even during the personal prayer partner time), the national recognition, the thousands of members, the flashy house, all that stuff that keep him on the pedestal.

8 comments:

Valerie said...

i get it. we have the Crystal Cathedral down here, and sometimes it's like it's all about the trappings and not about the message.

smileymamaT said...

How very interesting. I went to the Rock Church in VA when I was a kid once, and it was like that..like a huge concert and people fainting and the preacher sending it off to the cameras as much as to the "crowd" (sure didn't feel much like a church to me either)...
Thanks for visiting my blog! I need to go back and catch up on a bit of your history (this is what I do for relax-time) so then I'll know you a bit better.
Take care!
T

Anonymous said...

Very very interesting piece.

Fin

Steff said...

Valerie: Exactly! But then again it is different strokes for different folks I suppose. And I'll give the Lakewood members credit for being able to look past all the production and be committed to God.

T: I can't quite place you as I visited a lot of blogs today. I was voting on the battle of the blogs thing. Anyway, thanks for stopping by. Feel free to come back and look around all you want!

Fin: I can't help but wonder just what you find so very very interesting...you didn't say.

Anonymous said...

Steff, I saw a documentary type thing,it might have been nightline, that included Joel Osteen. I have to admit it made me wonder if all that could be real.

WordBearer said...

I really distrust Olsten. My mother thinks he is a great man, but I reservations. He has to much of a "feel good" message. I want my church with plenty of fire and brimstone, not this "I'm ok; your ok" mentality.

I want to hear "you suck, but so do I."

Becky said...

Steff,

It's Becky - your old college roommate who has been SO ugly and haven't been corresponding with you. How are you!?! I just checked in with your email - you really went to Joel Osteen's church? There is a church somewhat like that in Dallas - remember the one Jill used to go to? And I thought THAT one was big!!! Girl I can't wait to talk to you more and keep those blogs coming!

Anonymous said...

Hi Steff

I am an old goat doing research on Joel Osteen. Your piece was so well done and added to my understanding. Also loved the comment by the lady who said, "I want to hear YOU SUCK BUT SO DO I"

That was priceless. Visit myspace.com/moclev to see what a fascinating ole coot I am if you wish.