Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Things I Will Do

I love teaching and I love my kids and I got a little wrapped up in that love today. That has to be the explanation for why I dressed in black, wore a bib and a bow around my neck, and kept a felt Dr. Seuss hat on my head all day. What other explanation could there be?

Tomorrow is actually Dr. Seuss's birthday...the fiftieth one...but we have another thing planned so our school celebrated today. ALL faculty came to school ready to be dressed up by our lovable librarian, Mrs. R, as Cat In The Hat. Here was me...in all my Dr. Seuss glory.



Anyway, Mrs. R got everyone dolled up (I did decide to abstain from the paper tail...it wouldn't have done much for my actual tail) and I have to admit that it did add something to the day. We had a float (Green Eggs And Ham from the 2nd grade class was the best. You know, in my prideful opinion!) parade. Each class took a book and decorated an AV cart. We had special Rhyme Time announcements on the hour. (Again, I think my class really rocked with the classic Prelutsky My Fish Was Small poem.) We had yummy kitty snacks. We watched Dr. Seuss movies. While the day was loaded with fun it wasn't exactly our highest learning day. As one teacher pointed out "We're dressed like cats. Do you really think we're going to teach them anything today?"

And tomorrow might not be any better. The PTO is hosting a Sock Hop tomorrow night. And to get everyone in the mood, we're supposed to come to school tomorrow wearing a 50s outfit. A bunch of the first year teachers got together and we decided to bring back the Pink Ladies from Grease. I'm sure we're going to look super cute, but I'm having a hard time understanding how socks with flats was ever a fashion DO.

Okay, well I need to go roll my jeans and find a scarf for my neck.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

how much fun is this?! what a hoot to be the Pink Ladies...i wonder if i can convince my fellow leads & supervisors to be Pink Ladies and T-Birds for Halloween this year.

hey - it's only March, and i'm planning ahead. sick.

Nikky said...

Hi, I found you through...(crap, where was it? OH! Battle of the Blogs, that was it!)
I love your blog! I wish my kids had had a teacher like you!!
Just thought I'd unlurk (is that a word?) and say HI!!

Steff said...

Valerie: Today was so much fun! I have a bunch of pictures. I'll sift through and find a good one to post. Those socks and flats even grew on me...lol

Nikky: Hi back! I think I'm going to lose the battle of the blogs this round, but I've gotten to visit so many neat blogs through it. Next time I'm on, I'll come over and check you out! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Edtime Stories said...

Sock hops can be fun, but Suess was the man.

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by my place. I love your Cat in the Hat costume!