Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Money Madness and Mayham

It's that time of the month. No, guys don't run off...not that time. The time where my paycheck has hit the bank and the bills have poured in. I just have to say that this bill thing isn't all it's cracked up to be. Be forewarned you young readers out there! I used to dream about the days when I could pay my bills and truly be independent. Oh to be young and dumb again.

Anyway, I should start out saying that I make the same pledge every month...I WILL keep my check register up-to-date and I WILL write down those debit card purchases. This usually lasts until the first debit card purchase and I toss the receipt on accident. I've done better with writing down checks but I'm big enough to give credit where it's due...I have duplicate checks these days. Well, at the beginning of the month my register looks all nice and neat. I'm one of those strange ones that writes who it is to and what is was for. By the end of the month...I'm lucky if I get the check number or debit symbol and the amount in there.

Oh why do I do this to myself?!

So, tonight was the night of reckoning for the check register. I printed off the online statement, grabbed my checkbook, and the calculator. Somewhere between checking off the cleared checks and sifting through receipts that had collected at the bottom of my purse, I gave up and just grabbed a new register book thing. Ahh, fresh and clean. I love having a new check register. I guess it goes back to my desire to stay organized and up-to-date.

So, I paid the bills and I figure any checks or debits that clear I'll just subtract from my current balance. Geez...I really need an accountant, be like one of those girls that marry some rich old guy! Or, just stick to my commitment to WRITE IT DOWN!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's why i use quicken...it downloads every transaction and does the math... SOOOO much easier, and up to date!!!!

Nikky said...

Ya'll sound like my husband... he is awful about that stuff. I, however, am the Goddess of Checkbooks!!
Bow To Me!!
LOL I'm kidding, but I am an accounting student, so this stuff does come natural to me.
Here's a suggestion: put a basket or something right by your door... toss the receipts in there when you walk in the door. I balance mine daily, but I am rather anal about that sort of thing...so once a week is probably good enough.
That's not too painful sounding, is it?
Give it a shot...

Melissa said...

It's so hard to keep track of those debit purchases - we used to have like $60 - $80 a month that we didn't write down (can anyone say "bounced checks?") But now our bank has this handy dandy quick update site, and if I go to Walmart, by the time I get home we can log on and see what I spent. We check it every day or two, and it keeps us (mostly) on track.

smileymamaT said...

Oh this sounds just like me...last year. I basically got my act together by checking my online account everyday and if I didn't have the receipt, I had it noted on the statement (choose "debit" with your checkcard not "credit" if you want to see your transactions right away)'Cause ya know what, NSF fees just cost a LOT...Good Luck!!!!

marykathryn said...

So Funny!!! I dread balancing my checkbook and all the yucky details that come along with that experience...I have to check my account throughout the month to stay on top of it all of I don't know where we would be in my little family..hehe
Found you through Trina's blog...love your sense of humor, I'll be back!!

Trina said...

OH my goodness you sound exactly like me Steff!!! Well here is to clean registers and starting from scratch! Some day...oh some day...we will have our act together, until than we can dream can't we? lol