Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Gone But Not Forgotten

This morning I received a very unsettling message from a friend that said "please call me as soon as you get this. It's important...". You just know that these kind of messages aren't something good. I was on my way out the door for an appointment and then on to school so I wasn't able to call this morning. When I got to school, I opened an email from another friend in the same circle. That gut feeling from this morning was right. My friend's mom passed away on Monday.

I've known this friend and her family since second grade (almost twenty years) so it hurt to know that her mom had passed away. I knew that her mom had had heart trouble in the past, but I wasn't prepared to learn that it was just a routine procedure she had gone in for. It was something she'd had done before without any incident. In one of those freak things, she coded and they weren't able to bring her back. My friend lives in Washington these days and I can only imagine what her flight home yesterday must have been like; the whys and simply the shock of the whole situation. It simply breaks my heart.

All day long I've been remembering all the times I was over at her house, all the times her mom hugged me and treated me just like another kiddo. The memories are vast and long. And my heart is sad tonight. Any life that is lost is tragic, but when it happens so unexpectedly there are so many questions and so many what ifs. When I called my friend tonight she seemed to be doing okay and so in control. I'm sure that the hurt is coming and going. And I'm sure it will for a while to come too.

I couldn't help but think about my mom today. She isn't in the best of health and this makes me realize how important are the times we have together. I'm pretty sure that my world will crumble if anything happens to my mom. She's my rock. I feel a little guilty tonight because I can call up my mom and tell her I love her and my friend can't.

So, if you're a praying person, please just take a minute and lift this family up in prayer. There are a lot of shocked and shattered people tonight. It's not important to know her name or all the details, but God will know who you're asking prayer for and that is what is a true comfort.

Thank you, friends!

7 comments:

Valerie said...

don't feel guilty. feel blessed because you still have your mom.
i still have mine as well, and even though she bugs me sometimes, i still love her.

prayers for your friend & her family in their loss.

Sandman said...

My prayers for your friend and family.

Melissa said...

Oh, I'll be praying for everyone today. I know about those unexpected deaths - they leave us with more questions than answers, and make grieving more difficult (as if it weren't already hard enough).

Steff said...

Valerie: Thanks! I know that she'll appreciate them.

BJ: Thank you for lifting up this family in prayers!

Melissa: They have so many unanswered questions right now. I know that they appreciate all these prayers being lifted up for them.

Becky said...

I will keep them in my prayers and pass it along to my mom-in-law's prayer group as well. Times like those are hard, I am sure your friend was glad you called.

marykathryn said...

I am so sorry for your friends loss and yours too. That is so great that you have wonderful memories to look back on..those are precious indeed. Life is short and me need to remember that the Lord has control over all things and take confort in that. However I know that doesn't always instantly mend our broken hearts...

*~Annette~* said...

Steff... sorry about your friend's mom. Really. Things like that make you really take a step back, doesn't it?