Friday, May 04, 2007

Relay For Life (Post Script)

***Update: 24. That is a nice number. Lots of things can be said about that number, but since that's the number of hours I've been awake you'll forgive me if I don't list them all here. I'm not feeling too creative at the moment. Yesterday I wagged some bedding things out to the Relay For Life (which promotes the American Cancer Society) campsite, but that was so silly. Oh so silly. We didn't sleep at all...not one little wink. I pretty much started to crash around 3am this morning. I got up and walked another half mile, but I think that just added to the tiredness rather than boosting any energy levels. By 5:30am I just wanted my bed. Seriously, it's a miracle I made it home without driving off the road! I fully understand now why someone might use sleep deprivation as a torture tactic. I just got up from a nice 7 hour nap (sorry to those few of you who called and got the muttered "I'm sleeping"...click) and I'm still pretty sure I'd give away any secrets that I had! I had planned on going shopping today, but I think that's a pipe dream. I'm going to do some dishes, walk to the mailbox, and just chill at home. Probably in my bed and with my pajamas still on!***

Well, it's that night. The night where me and seven of my closest co-workers do what we said we'd do when we collected all the money. We spend the night (6pm - 6am) walking around the high school track. Not all at the same time mind you...that's where the term relay comes into play.

Laps to date...okay hour: 7 (that roughly equals out to be almost 2 miles).

Now, I know you're just dying to know if there is wireless out at the high school track or what. I mean, "Just how is she posting?" might be a question you're asking yourself. Well, the answer is simple. I'm at home for a potty break.

The relay organization was kind enough to have several porta-potties brought out to the track, but I guess space was an issue. They aligned these portable bathrooms on a slight incline. I want you to fully get the picture. When you step in you stay as close to the door as possible for fear of tipping the porta-potty backwards. Yes folks...the porta-potties sit at an angle. I tried to "hover and lean forward" motion to do my business (I was all for giving the porta-potties a shot), but I just couldn't do it. I even yelled for my friend to stand behind the porta-potty just in case. She was quick to let me know that she doesn't catch tipping porta-potties.

So, we've all been taking turns running on potty breaks to people's houses. This one just happens to be my turn. And since I had a few minutes I just knew that all my loyal readers would want to read about a porta-potty! Y'all do want to read about a porta-potty right?!

Well, anyway, looks like the bathroom break is over. We're off to the track again. This is a great cause and I'm having a good time, but...isn't it morning yet?

5 comments:

Nikky said...

I think that's great! (the relay, I mean)What is the cause you're walking for?
... altho the porta potty update is nice too... I guess! LOL
We do that here in our town, too, but they don't provide potties.
At least y'all live close enough to run home, THAT'S a bonus!

Steff said...

Nikky: The Relay For Life supports the American Cancer Society. We had a so-so turn out (it was rainy this week so it was wet at the track!) but we had a lot of fun.

Edtime Stories said...

Good Job, Relay is a wonderful event. I have done it a few times in the past, just not something I can do because it always seems to fall on a bad weekend for me.

Allison said...

I loved doing Relay in high school. The colleges in La Crosse have one, and I missed doing it this year, but I'm definitely up for it next year (indoor track and everything!)

Steff said...

Ed: It was for a good cause, but I was so tired by Saturday morning.

Allison: An indoor track! We'd had a bunch of rain this past week so the track was nice and soggy. I think an indoor track would have been perfect!