Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I Heart My Bed

If someone were to ask me what my favorite thing about my home is I would say my bed without missing a beat. I love my bed! And more specifically I love being in my bed.



There it is...my bed. I thought briefly about making it up before I took the picture but I'm all about being honest on here. My bed usually gets made once a week...when I change the sheets. I love to just straighten out the covers before I crawl in at night. It's a lived in bed. What else can I say?!

When I was in college the only sitting room we had in those dorms was the bed. I really think this is when the love affair began. I got so used to doing everything (from eating, homework, watching tv, etc.) on my bed and the habit just stuck. I'm sure there are people that think I'm the ultimate in lazy because I spend so much time there but I get stuff done on the bed! It's my absolute favorite place to grade papers and watch TV.

Anyway, after having been gone for so long from my bed, I was really looking forward to getting a good night's sleep in my own bed last night. Y'all know about my flare for travel and I do love it, but the one thing always missing on trips is my bed. I'm still working on how I can fold it up and pack it in with all the other essentials. So far...well I think it's a pipe dream!

When I got home yesterday (and yes it's great to be home!) I brought in my suitcase and immediately put my body in bed for a few minutes. I snuggled down into the feather pillow top and my plethora of pillows. Now that is coming home! I hadn't been home maybe three hours when the power went out. Yep, the lights flicked and the computer turned off...power outage. My first concern was mainly the heat. Since I'd been gone for a while I'd turned the air up (to save money which is a whole other story...grrr) and it was still pretty warm in here. Plus, while it wasn't dark when the power went off it would get that way soon. Being in a hot dark house didn't sound appealing. So I left. I went to get coffee and then shopping with a friend. If I couldn't be enjoying my bed I figured the next best thing was shopping!

I kept calling the power company and every time they kept pushing back the time when the power would be back on. By 9:30 I was afraid that I'd be spending yet another night without my bed. It may sound wimpy but I wasn't staying in a house where the thermostat was hovering around 86 and I couldn't even turn on a fan. After making the decision to come home and gather up my toothbrush and a pillow I was headed to the nearest hotel. Thankfully, when I pulled in my drive lights were on in my house! I had power once again.

I was happy with the power being back on, don't get me wrong, but I was thrilled that I'd be sleeping at home...cradled in pillow top...surrounded by cool pillows...in my comfy sanctuary...in my bed. And after having slept soundly for several hours I'm refreshed and ready to face the day.

I heart my bed!

9 comments:

Lori said...

Glad you are back! But aren't you leaving again soon for another trip? :-)

I love the blue and yellow together in your room & all the pillows!! I have to sleep with a bunch of pillows!!!

Steff said...

Lori: Yep, I'll leave next Monday. Aren't you leaving soon too?! I had to take things down off the walls for some repairs but I decorated in denim, yellow, and daisies. I think it's very cute!

Becky said...

Steff,
Think it is so funny about your bed. It is nice to know that the hubby and I aren't the only ones with that obsession. When I came back from my cruise in Feb. I SO missed my bed! Glad to hear that the power came back on for you - I so would have been booking to the nearest hotel too. Thanks for the Anniversary wishes today - hard to believe it has been 3 years too.

Valerie said...

it does look super cozy...makes me wish it was beddy bye time for me, too...although mine isn't nearly as cute as yours!

Steff said...

Becky: You are most welcome! I think a good bed and bedding is what I could spend a fortune on when it comes to home furnishings.

Valerie: I don't know how cute it is...it sure is messy, but that's how I like it!

Graziella said...

Hello, I'm a new reader and enjoyed your bed entry. I love my bed just as much as you describe in this post. Some people think I'm crazy, but I am madly in love with my bed. It is my safe, cozy sanctuary.

Niners said...

Okay, when we were in San Antonio, I didn't miss my bed at all. That hotel bed was way more comfortable than mine. However, after being in Bastrop at my friends house, I really realized that I missed my bed, my fan, and my AC. I love my bed too, but I don't think there is as much activity in my bed as there is in yours. I 'm not home enough.

Nikky said...

Your room is beautiful! So bright and cheery, it seems very...YOU!

Welcome home! I will be posting pics within the next couple of days of me packing up 2 jars of jelly, one raspberry, one strawberry and sending them in your direction (watch my blog for the sendoff)

Glad you're back (Oh, and as I type this, I am in bed, I do everything in here, too!)

Steff said...

Graziella: Thanks for stopping by! Someone asked me recently where I felt safe and outside of my parents home I said my bed. I can completely understand what you said about it being a safe santuary.

Nina: Now now...don't say activity like there are "activities" going on! LOL. I spent three nights on a friends couch and so I was really missing my bed. :)

Nikky: Aww you always make me feel good! You should see the room with the stuff on the walls...it's half decorated right now due to repairs. And I can't wait for my jelly!!!