Friday, July 20, 2007

I'm A Little Altered

It's that time of the year. Ladies, you know what I mean...time to get a new swimsuit. Did anyone else just get the shivers? I don't know about you, but I tend to wear out my swimsuits each summer. I hardly ever get to wear them two seasons in a row. Anyway, since I was going to be near the sun and surf so much this summer I decided I might need a couple of new ones. And there in lies the problem.

Finding the swimsuits isn't the problem. It's getting them to fit my body the right way that provides the frustration. This year I have a black with pink flowers tankini, a black and white one piece, and a turquoise with white straps one piece. They are really cute...well except for the turquoise one which is more functional than cute.

I've been blessed...well how else to word it...with a pear shaped body. My hips and bottom are bigger than the top of me. So while these swimsuits fit well on the bottom (staying put and being flattering) the tops are rather large. That or I'm rather small up there. My mom usually has to wag out sewing machine and pull and pin me up so I don't end up on some Girls Gone Wild video.

Well, this year was no different. The black and white swimsuit (which has turned out to be my absolute favorite!) has some gathers around the bust which makes me look fuller on top. I'm all about that! After shortening the straps and tacking the V neck together a little more it fits perfectly. She also criss-crossed the straps on the black and pink flowered tankini in the back. I think I have a pretty back so I like the extra little detail back there. Again, it was all in an effort to keep those girls from falling out. Ever wish you could rearrange parts of your body? I'd definitely move some stuff north!

As for the turquoise one...well it was fixed but by the end I think both of us were frustrated with it. But, my mom seems to be a miracle worker with the sewing machine because it now fits right in the bust and the straps keep it up where it should be. As my mom said, "It won't ever be your favorite, but it does work."

So, I'm ready for these next few summer vacations. I've got my beach towels, the Hawaiian Tropic dark tanning lotion, and three swimsuits that cover me up and look pretty good on me. So, speaking as someone who has to work for the perfect swimsuit I wish all you the best of luck when it comes to finding the perfect suit.

Look out ocean...here I come!

9 comments:

Niners said...

Okay so I need a few new swimsuits too. Where did you get yours? Maybe since summer is almost over, I can find some on sale. I think I am going to go beach shopping On Sunday, August 5. You can come and go with me if you want. You can even bring all your stuff and spend the night so you don't have to make 2 trips. Whatever you want to do. Let me know. Have fun on your cruise. I have been on one before and it is a lot of fun. I want to go again.

Niners said...

I forgot.... There wasn't a bar shot with me in it, so that is why you didn't see it on my blog. If you have one, I would ove to put it on there.

Steff said...

Nina: I'll send you some links. I ordered mine online as I hate trying on swimsuits in the store. That sounds like a plan as far as spending the night goes! I could've sworn you were in the group bar shot. I'll investigate and send that your way too!

Nikky said...

Im a bit of a pear myself, wider hips, and small bust. I'd get a medium top and a large bottom if I could stand to wear a 2 piece (3 kids kind of shot that to hell)

So I have the fun of finding a one piece that works, not easy (I found one once, a couple of years ago, I bought 3 so I'd be set for a couple of years)

Nikky said...

almost forgot... go check out the latest pics on my blog!!

hehe

Steff said...

Nikky: Hey I think that was the smart idea...get plenty that fit! And yes I'm excited about my jelly!! Thank you so much :)

Allison said...

I bought my first swimsuit in 4 years this summer (helped that I've lost some weight!). But I'm bigger on top and on bottom, but middle not so much. so that was not fun.

Melissa said...

I'm a little, ahem, busty, so finding a suit that supports "the girls" is always a little difficult. I usually go for a halter style, and even if it doesn't tie, I end up tieing it so that I get the "uplift" I need.

Lori said...

I HATE shopping for swimsuits!!! After going on vacation, I have decided I am going to suck it up and start at least walking on a treadmill b/c I am tired of feeling fat in a swimsuit!! urgh! (I have a ghetto booty! ha!)