Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Progreso and Cozumel

I took over 100 pictures, but I was only allowed to put ten in the slide show. I think this is a pretty good collection from the trip! The slide show goes pretty fast so read quickly!



As I've said, the cruise vacation was wonderful! I went with my cousin and we both had a really great time. Trust me, I could go on and on reliving every detail of the trip, but I'd get finger cramps and you'd get bored! So, I'm just going to hit the highlights.

Nightly Shows: Each night we were on board, there was some type of show. I really enjoyed the ones with the singers and dancers. The Blue Sapphire was always cold and after watching one show I knew why...to keep the dancers cooled off! The energy level never dropped from the time the show started to the time it stopped. And we went to the late show several times so it was the second go around for them. Also, there were four comedians. The first guy, Greg Ray, was the funniest. They had a family style show and then at midnight they did an R rated adult show. Most of the guys were vulgar for the sake of being vulgar (something I'm NOT a fan of) but Mr. Ray was extremely funny throughout.

Breakfast: As you've probably heard half the fun of a cruise is the food. And there was food...all the time and everywhere! My favorite though was breakfast. We at up on the Lido deck every morning. I had the same thing the whole time (eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, crossant, chocolate milk, and orange juice) and it was so yummy! We were what you'd call the late risers so I was very glad that breakfast was served until noon!

Dinner: You didn't think one little paragraph was enough about the food did you?! Dinner was my other favorite meal of the day. This time it wasn't so much for the food (though that was wonderful!) but because of the people we sat with at dinner. The whole dinner attire was a little misleading. When I called Carnival to ask about how dressy dinner was, they said that it was dressy every night. We took two "dressy" outfits. So the first night we skipped dinner in the dining room and just made do with hot dogs by the pool. The next night was the formal night and we ate in the dining room. That is where we discovered that dinner in the dining room is resort casual...meaning jean capris and a t-shirt was perfectly fine for dinner the rest of the time. Also, we sat with a very nice group of ladies. Out of our table of ten six of us were teachers so we had plenty in common! Everyone was so nice and friendly so dinner was a pleasure each night. And the food was wonderful too! I thought I'd get brave and try some fish but I never did. One of the ladies at our table said, "How can you be on the sea and not eat fish?" Easy...enjoy all the beef! I think every meal was beef of some kind. I did step out of the box a few times though. I had chilled avacado soup and a spicy pumpkin soup. Several times I wondered if they made a plain jane menu so I could know what I was eating, but all in all it was wonderful!

Progreso, Mexico: This was our first port of call. The pier was so long that we had to take a bus onto the mainland! When we booked, I didn't realize that Progreso is the home of one of the seven wonders of the world or we'd done an excursian there. What we did do was wander around a little market square and then headed to the beach. The beach was crowded but it was nice. My cousin was ingrossed in Harry Potter so I was the only one to get in the ocean. It was an ocean...big and salty! I splashed around for awhile and then got a tattoo! It was a henna tattoo, but I like the shock value of saying I got a tattoo. I wasn't supposed to get it wet for 40 minutes so I laid out on the beach. This was the start of one awful burn. Progreso was a fun stop!

Cozumel, Mexico: The water in Cozumel is beautiful! It was so clear that you could stand in it and see your own feet. Plus it had a nice sandy bottom. We went on a dune buggy exploration of the island. It was a stick shift so there wasn't any way I was going to drive! We were in groups of two so for the first part of the tour the other guy drove and then on the way back, Amanda drove. She did pretty good considering there wasn't power steering! We also stopped at a private beach for lunch (which was real Mexican food in Mexico and was out of this world!) and swimming. The ocean was pretty rough that day, but it was beautiful to watch those foamy waves crash into the rocks! I felt pretty small next to those huge waves and that was perfectly alright.

Snorkling: I had never been snorkling before and I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it. I like to breathe...a lot! After sitting through the instruction course we trotted over to the ocean. The guide told us there was fire coral on either side of where you enter the water. Great...I wasn't steady anyway stepping on the rocks so I looked pretty funny gingerly getting in the water. One lady didn't pay attention and got a pretty nasty welt on her butt when she brushed up against the coral. Snorkling is a workout! I finally got my legs and arms all moving in the right direction. I had some trouble keeping my goggles from fogging up but after several rounds of spitting in them they cleared up. Snorkling was fun but I was a little disappointed that we didn't see more fish. There were two schools of fish but that was about it. Still...I'd snorkle again. I have some pictures but they are being developed from the underwater camera so it might take me a while to get them posted. That is if they are any good...it was kind of like aim at what you think is fish, point, and click!

There's so much more to tell, but I might be here all day! This is just a sampling of all the fun things we did on this cruise. I would highly recommend cruising! I'll definitely go again. Maybe next time to Alaska...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gqald you had a great time!! Sound so fun! I wanna go on a cruise!
We leave for Disney Friday so I guess I can't complain!

Staci

Steff said...

Staci: Have a great time at Disney! And remember it's the happiest place on Earth...lol :)

Sandman said...

Very nice pics! Looks like a great place to be. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved our cruise to Mexico. We visited the other side though; Cabo, Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan. Loved everything about it ... especially the food!

Glad you had fun!

Steff said...

Bj: Thank you! I enjoyed the cruise a lot. I'd love to go again!

Diva: You're right...the food is half the fun! Each night in the capers they should say the most popular activity is eating...lol. :)

smileymamaT said...

Wow, great pics! This is the first time I see pics of you and you are so darn cute, and you look so happy! (and not at all crispy, har har)...what a nice cruise, the constant-menu sounds heavenly...I'd love to see those underwater photos, cool....

Lori said...

My cousin just got back from Alaska and I was thinking an Alaskan cruise would be awesome too! Sorry you didn't see more on your snorkeling trip! The pictures from my underwater camera just didn't do it justice at all! I might try to scan a few later in the week! Glad you had fun!! Now, it's time to get ready for the real world! ha!

Steff said...

Tori: You just weren't looking hard enough! I was crispy and now I'm peely.

Lori: Sometimes it's scary how alike we think! And yep...it's back to work now. With the exception of next week (when I'm going to the beach...again!) I'll be in my room everyday. I think I'm feeling urgh about that. :s

Edtime Stories said...

great pics...you look so relaxed and happy. I am not a cruise kinda guy but must take one one day just for the experience.

Steff said...

Ed: Yes, I've achieved the goal this summer. I've let some things go and held on to what I thought was important (me!) and I feel completely happy and at peace. :)

Lindsey said...

Glad you had such a good time!!