Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Could It Get Any Worse?!

Ever had one of those days where you want to ask "Can this day suck anymore?" but you don't dare let that pass your lips because you can think of a thousand ways it can get worse? That was my day yesterday.

I had gone to Houston on Sunday to help my cousin move in to her new apartment. I'm thrilled that she's going to be so close to me now! Anyway, I was pretty much all thumbs the whole time I was there. I don't recall ever being that clumsy in such a short amount of time!

It started when we went to visit her school (she's a teacher too!) and I was helping her haul things inside. She had one of those square crates with wheels and a handle. Well, I loaded that down and then pulled too hard on the handle...which promptly broke. To her credit, she didn't yell or get mad at me (which I certainly would have understood) but it was just another thing in a line of things that was making her day suck. I wonder if sucky days come in pairs?!

Anyway, once we were in her classroom I noticed she had a map on one side of the room. You remember those maps. The ones that rolled up into that think in the ceiling and the teacher had to yank a few times before it'd roll back up. Well, I pulled it down a little to see what map it was (seriously it was the teacher in me...) and well it wouldn't go back up. So I kept pulling it down a little thinking that would make it go back up. It didn't. By the time I was done I'd pull it several inches past the stop point. At this point I was thinking it would be best if I just sat down and kept my hands to myself! Thankfully, another teacher was able to give it the magic touch and it rolled up perfectly.

That afternoon we went shopping to pick up a few needed items for her classroom. Thankfully, I was fine at the first couple of stores. I touched but nothing disastrous happened as a result! Then we got to Target. I love getting Icees at Target. Well, they were out of my favorite flavor (cherry) and that should have been my first clue that I needed to just get a soda. Anyway, I got a Coke Icee. I stopped filling it way before it hit the top, but it still grew. And by grew I mean that it started rising above the hole in the top of the cup. I was sucking as fast as I could without getting a brain freeze. It dripped over the side a little bit, but not too bad. At least I didn't get it on my shirt! I sat it in the basket, admittedly a little hastily, and it promptly fell over to the side sending brown icee onto the basket and floor. Thank goodness my aunt wasn't right in front of the basket or she'd have gotten it all over. I cleaned up that mess and propped my cup up with my purse. Thankfully, I managed to make it out of Target without any further incidents.

But that wasn't the case with the car! Again the icee...I was in the backseat and balanced the cup on my leg so I could get something out of my purse. Well, I moved a fraction of an inch and over the cup went again. Though this time it was more liquid than icee. I managed to drench my foot and flip flop and a pretty good size part of the floorboard. I asked my aunt for some napkins to clean it up. She said not to worry as many things had been spilled in that car from kid gunk to man gunk. We weren't quite sure what man gunk was but we didn't really want to ask either! While I had enough napkins to clean up the carpet I had to leave my foot alone. So, here I am thinking this day couldn't get worse, the icee is now drying and beginning to stick to my foot and my white flip flop, and then we hit traffic. I mean creep along kind of traffic. Oh well!

When we got back to my cousin's apartment I felt it was time to get the heck out of dodge and head home! And pray that my klutzy streak was over. Now I'm not too familiar with Houston, but I am pretty good with maps. Apparently verbal directions aren't the same as maps. My cousin told me to go to the left but when I got there the options were right or straight. So I went straight even though my gut was saying right. I am NOT blaming her...we're both pretty new to navigating Houston. I just got to take a little trip around Houston on the loop. The very long loop. I was pretty sure that the loop would get me to the interstate I needed...eventually. Did I mention how long that loop was?! I was beginning to think I'd never get off it. I'd forever be going in circles around Houston. After about three hours (which it should only take one!) I was finally pulling into my driveway.

That relief to be home lasted about two seconds. I noticed that my house was unusually dark compared to the neighbors. The hot silence that greeted me when I opened the door wasn't that much of a surprise. The power was out...again. This has happened three times in the last three weeks. I've had just about enough of it! I called and the company said that it wasn't out anywhere else so I must have just blown a breaker. The one in the house was fine so it must have been the one out by the meter. That one is surrounded by a huge bush and possibly snakes and spiders. No way! I'm not sure I'd do it in the day light let alone at 10:00 pm at night. I called back to say just that when my neighbor came over. He checked it out for me but nothing appeared to be wrong. I called the power company back and we discovered that a transformer had blown at the pole. It was a long and hot hour and half while they fixed it. Thankfully, the power was back on before I went to bed. And by the time I went to bed I was so ready for this day to be over!

Thankfully, as I'm typing this and reliving yesterday I can find a lot to laugh about...now. And I guess that's a good thing. Like they say, things do look better tomorrow!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day! I'm sorry that it was a bummer for you, but wow, what a great short story it made for us, your readers! lol

Hope today goes much better for you!

Jacquie

Lori said...

Yep ~ that was a sucky day!!! Yikes!

Nikky said...

wow, ouch, what a day!
Glad it's over for you!
I have those days and just beg "Let it be over, let me go back to bed and have a do-over!"

Becky said...

Talk about ugh! I was so sorry to hear about your "wonderful" day yesterday. It does seem to happen all at once huh? Well at least that day is behind you and you are all cleared for any more bad days for the rest of the month!

la bellina mammina said...

Came over from Lori to say hello. Wow! What a day you've had. Hope today is a better day. :-)

Steff said...

Thanks for all the lovely thoughts! Today was much better. But yeah...yesterday sucked. LOL

Niners said...

Like I said before, I would have just sat in a corner and cried. Well now you have to get a tree. You could do what Cortney did, well what Shelly did, and just make vines, and then hang a monkey from them. Cortney didn't have a tree. I am still jealous of Randa's loft. Have you seen it, it is cute. I so bad want one. Oh well, maybe next year.

*~Annette~* said...

Dude... I'm exhausted reading that!!! But I'm glad you can laugh about it!!

and I left a nice LONG reply on my blog. LOL.

Melissa said...

Oh, I am NOT a fan of those days. Glad you made it through!