Friday, August 10, 2007

I'm On Vaca...

Do you think there is such a thing as too much of a good thing? I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps I've hit my vacation quota! Don't misunderstand, I've thoroughly enjoyed all my trips and adventures this summer, but I'm glad to be home. And I think I'll stay put for awhile!

This trip to the beach was great on so many levels. First, I loved getting to head out to the beach again! I've really enjoyed all the sand and surf time this summer. I guess there is just something refreshing and humbling about being next to something so vast. I even enjoyed the sand between my toes (though not so much all the other places sand tends to get...ick) and just laying out and being a beach babe. Second, it was great to connect with people you work with on a level that isn't just a professional one. In case I didn't mention this before, I went on this trip with six other teachers from school. I'll admit to being a little nervous about how we'd all interact, but it was great. We're teachers so we did talk a little bit about school stuff, but mostly we got to know each other on personal levels. That was amazing! Thirdly, I knew that this was my last hurrah before school started so I wanted to make the most of the days. And I did! I felt like I was able to relax and soak up the last bit of summer.

Before long it'll be time to get back into the groove of all things school, so right now it feels great to justify everything because "I'm on vaca!" (I think this is a line from Legally Blonde where the lead character's ditzy friends want to go on vaca (vay-kay) to Harvard to visit her.) Anyway, all week long we explained away everything with "I'm on vaca!".

For example:

"You slept until 10:00am!"
"So, I'm on vaca!"

"I don't usually go without make-up or doing my hair."
"Oh who cares...you're on vaca!"

"I shouldn't be eating this yummy chocolate cake at 2am in the morning."
"But what the hell! I'm on vaca!"

Every time we turned around someone was saying "I'm on vaca!" in that house! We were and we enjoyed every minute of it too. Like I said, it was great, but I am ready for some normalcy too. Starting next week, it's back to being in my classroom all day (organizing and decorating) and then comes the welcome back in-service things. And I'm okay with that because believe it or not I crave a routine.

But, I know that the memories and relaxed feel of summer are going to stick around for a while! And I'm happy about that!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back and that you had such a great time! Aren't vaca's great???

Back to school already? ARGH!

Jacquie

marykathryn said...

How fun for you!! You are right, you better soak up all the vaca's that you can get cuz come Sept. the next one you will get is Thanksgiving and beaches aren't so fun that time of the year, or are they??

Edtime Stories said...

I love the new look and all the photos...you are really getting into the whole blog thing

Becky said...

I am glad that you got so many "vaca"s this summer! I got to live vicariously through you. You know moving is SO much fun! We just finished our first week of work, did okay, still learning and then I was greeting with a GREAT care package!! Thank you SO much!! Loved it, can't wait to start putting yours together.

Steff said...

Diva: Yeah, it's time to get back into my school groove.

Mary: Yep, I think my beach days are behind me for a while. But I sure did enjoy them this summer!

Ed: I've been into the blog thing for a while. I guess the blog is just catching up with me! I'm pleased with the whole look too.

Becky: You are welcome! I'm glad you told me about the new address. I just had the chance to change it!

Lindsey said...

Glad you had such a great time! I know what you mean about soaking up every possible ounce of summer vacation. And I too crave a routine. By this time in the summer I'm lost as to what day it is and I feel like I'm floating, which is good, but I love routines too!!

Valerie said...

goody! you had fun, and i'm glad!

Melissa said...

Know how long it's been since I had an honest-to-goodness vacation? Three years! And that was a Memorial Day weekend trip to Jackson to the zoo and natural history museum!

I need a trip where I'm not visiting my mother-in-law!

*~Annette~* said...

NICE new layout!!!! I miss you Steff!

Jaded said...

I need a vaca so I can use that as an excuse to do stuff...because it's PERFECT!! I love it!

Glad you had a good time.

Lori said...

I'm with you - I love my vacations but once I get to "going" too much, I get the bug to just be home for awhile!!!

I start my "welcome back" inservices tomorrow!! yikes! I am ready for school, but NOT the meetings! ha!