Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Mama, My Nails Are Wet..."

Before I start, let me just say that my brain is fried. Yesterday started the pre-school starting meetings and frankly a lot of it is boring. Not your average boring but let-me-bang-my-head-on-the-table boring. Today was just such a day. It was day two of a professional development that we did in the spring. Today was basically a repeat of that...which was the latter kind of boring then!

Anyway, I was very happy about the fact that I had a nail appointment this afternoon. A great hand massage always makes the stresses of the day fade quickly. I used to get gel tips (the few guys that read...feel free to fall out right here!) but I didn't like the way my nails looked when I took them off. So, I'm going back to just a normal manicure with a shape and polish. The only down side...when I leave her shop I leave with wet nails. I usually take forever getting my self buckled in (I don't think the cop would fall for "...but my nails are wet!" excuse) and adjusting the radio.

That always reminds me of that line from Steel Magnolias where Shelby says "Mama, my nails are wet!" when she's asked to do something. I love that movie...could probably quote every line. Anyway, since our meetings (you know those boring ones) are in a lodge that is right across from my house I told a few people that if they wanted to brown bag it to my house tomorrow for lunch they were more than welcome. I should probably finish up those last loads of laundry, give the toilet a quick scrub, and run the vacuum, but I feel like just sitting back with the Everybody Loves Raymond reruns, Big Brother, and my book and just say..."Mama, my nails are wet!"

10 comments:

Jaded said...

Go to avon.com and search for "nail experts" products. They have this spray called "Liquid Freeze Quick Dry Spray" that really dries nail polish fast. I don't know how it works, but it really does!

Steff said...

Jaded: Thanks! I'm such a klutz so I usually smudge. I've got a tiny smudge already on the side of my thumb...dang seat belt!

Becky said...

Steff,
We SO must have been channeling each other's minds today. I went after work and got my tips taken off and got a manicure! Love the Steel Magnolias quote!! :) In fact you should check out my blog, you actually inspired me with my blog entry for today. I think I might have to watch that movie too....that or The Mirror Has Two Faces with the "math party that you only invited yourself". :) I also got your postcard from Mexico today! Thanks, I love it! On the refrigerator already.

Steff said...

Becky: Wonderful! I was beginning to think that those postcards would never arrive. :) Oh...I love that movie too and all because you made me watch it. I should buy it...think I'll try to find it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Although I liked Steel Magnolias, I guess I'm missing something because I didn't think it was as great as some people I know do. I just remember it being so terribly sad!

Jacquie

Becky said...

Jacquie,
You are right - it is a very sad movie but it is best if you try not to remember that part. The rest of the movie is filled with memorable, hilarious quotes! Like Drum and Wheezer....too funny! Just another quote tidbit for you....Wheezer says "That dog is on its last legs, what am I going to do with him?" Drum answers...."Serve him on toast!" :)

Lindsey said...

Oh I know that feeling all too well. I'm back getting my room ready today (a day early) and then Thursday and Friday too, and then we have those horribly bang your head up meetings next week. Ugh. I might have to spring for the manicure to make it through....thanks for the idea!! When is your first day with kiddos?? I didn't know you were a pre-school teacher!! You have the baby babies!! How adorable (and challenging!!) I have a multi-age, first and second grade. Love em!

Lindsey said...

Oh yeah, that liquid nail spray is awesome...at the nail places around here they leave the bottles out for you by the nail dryers so you can spray yourself down with it when you leave for those of us who try to do EVERYTHING with wet nails and think we won't smudge!!

Steff said...

Diva: It's got some sad points but I think it's a great movie! Try The Mirror Has Two Faces too...it's super cute!

Becky: I love Wheezer!

Lindsey: We have our last workday tomorrow. Thankfully I'm almost completely done! And I teach second grade. I meant the pre school starting...not pre-school. Sorry!

Lori said...

Ha! At first I read it as you taught the little babies too! See we are all brain-dead from the rush of starting school!

I feel you about the meetings - I took some Sudoku puzzles to hide and work like I was taking notes!

And 2nd grade has been my favorite grade that I have taught!