Saturday, August 18, 2007

R.E.A.D.Y. Spells Relief

This week has been so productive at school! Last year I was in the precess of moving and setting up my home so sadly my classroom was regulated to the back burner. And it showed...all year long. I had things up on the walls and name tags on desks and stuff but I felt so disorganized. I had basically cleaned out one cabinet (and when I say cleaned I mean I threw it all in another cabinet so I could have a space for my stuff) and just started the year. It was crazy! I didn't know where anything was when I needed it. Is anyone else like that...if you're not organized everything just seems to go to pot?

Well, not this year baby! At the end of July, I went up to the school for several days and I cleaned out those cabinets. I found things I thought I didn't have and discovered several things that would have made teaching so much easier. Currently, it's all organized and labeled (you'll see...I plan to take pictures!). It looks wonderful! I had to show another teacher (one that I drove crazy with my lack of organization last year) and she was so impressed and proud of me! And I'm pretty proud of myself...those cabinets look great!

Another ready thing is that I've got the room in order too. My desk is where I want it (I moved it three times last year!), the student desks are where I want them and bungee corded together so they don't walk (I spent about two hours last year trying to decide where I wanted them to go), and my centers aren't just put together but they are out and ready to be introduced! Everything is coming together so nicely.

I was up there all day yesterday, and by the time I was ready to come home I was feeling very good about the room. I still have a few things that I need to get accomplished next week. I still have to put up the class schedule and tape down the name tags and decorate the door. We're going to have one more work day plus the time in the afternoons after meetings. But I don't feel overwhelmed...I feel ready! It's a complete change from last year.

I know that some of my regular readers might not understand what the big deal is about being ready but I promise you that any teacher can appreciate the fact. And I'll also be posting a few pictures of my room next week too!

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh Steff I SOOOOO know what you mean about being ready!! I was like that last year. I was in there early and organized and ready to go. I didn't have to disassemble everything in the spring this year, so I'm not going in early, but right now I feel like you did last year with us just buying our home (Feb) and this being the first summer here and wanting to work on it all the time. School just seems so distant to me now. I know once i get into my room this week I'll get in the organizing mode, like you did! It's such a great feeling!!

Becky said...

Steff,
I can't believe there was EVER a time that you weren't organized and all creative but if you say so! I am glad you got to get everything in order and are feeling more relieved. Maybt that is my problem with the apartment - considering almost EVERYTHING is still in boxes. Sigh...soon maybe not!

Valerie said...

dang. i get it. even though i don't teach. if i was gonna deal with that many young-uns, i'd want everything set up, coordinated and ready to rock. good for you!

Anonymous said...

I do get it! I can't stand living not organized. I have many teacher friends. As a matter of fact, three out of eight in my inner circle. That's a lot!

I'm proud of you that you are ready! That's quite an accomplishment! Good for you!

Jacquie

Lori said...

You go girl!! I've been right there with ya all week! Can't wait to see some pics!!

Jaded said...

I used to LOVE getting things set up and organized! I love the smell of new books, paper etc.! I loved getting everything decorated and arranging my classroom. My classroom was always far more organized than my house is, lol!

Trina said...

Believe me I get it! I may not have an actual classroom, but I have lots of stuff that I use.When I dont have all my stuff ready to go I feel overwhelmed and lost too. I am looking forward to pictures. Lori's room looks amazing too! Congrats girls!!!

Becky said...

Steff,
My new blog by Lindsay is done! It is up! I love it - she did an awesome job!! Thank you so much for recommending her. Haven't heard from you in awhile - how is school going? Getting back into the routine? By the way I love your hair in the pic on your blog with you and your Mimi. Hope to have a shopping trip with you sometime soon!