Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Sorta Virtual Tour

This has been one busy week. I thought I was ready for school to start, but little extra to dos kept popping up. For example, I thought I was only going to be at the school yesterday (yes it was open on a Saturday) for a team meeting. I was there from 10am to 8pm. I was pretty worn out when I got home last night, but I've got a lot to show for my many hours spent up in my classroom this past week!


This is what my classroom looks like when you're standing by the door and taking it all in. I don't know if this comes across in the picture but there is so much space in there...I love it!


I guess you could say this is my pride and joy. Our school theme this year is Positively Wild so we have a jungle motif all over the place. I think this reading corner is so inviting...not to mention all those books!


Along this wall are my center activities. If you can't tell I like things to be organized so everything is in a basket or box! Also, along this wall is our publishing station and our math warm ups.


Here is my desk...messy. So like me! This year I have more little knick knack things to put up around the walls and decorate with. And unfortunately, my desk is always this messy. Even when I'm trying to be neat!


Here is the reading table where I do guided reading with the kids. I'll spend many hours back here at this table. All that blank wall space will be for class writing examples.


And here is the door. I had such a hard time deciding what I wanted to do with it. I'm not sure that the blue background and the orange boarder match the green and brown in the monkey but hey...it's growing on me! And believe it or not, I traced that monkey and cut him out. I wouldn't consider myself artsy but I think he came out really good!

So, there you go. Now you know where I'll be every day! Also, I have more pictures that I took for my family to see so if you want to see the whole tour around the room just drop me an e-mail or leave your address in the comments.

13 comments:

Becky said...

Girl, the room looks great! Just like I knew it would. You are so perfect in your job. I would love to see the extra pics you took if you don't mind. I am hoping to have my apartment finished this coming weekend (Labor Day) and up so I can share pics with you of our new place. Looks wonderful!! Way to go teacher!

Lindsey said...

The room looks awesome!! You are organized...doesn't it feel good?? I think we should go teacher shopping together. I have the same bins and tubs (from the dollar store) and everything is labeled....there just isn't any other way to have your classroom!!!! I love your Are You Stuck hand....I'm going to borrow that idea from you! And also I love the large notebook paper you have on the board showing the kids how to head it and where to start!! I might have to steal that idea too! I teach 1st & 2nd multi-age, so I'm sure there's so much we can swap!

Lindsey said...

Oh yeah, one more thing, I love the blue and orange (Go Tigers!!) on the door-awesome contrasting colors!

Steff said...

Becky: Thanks! I can't wait so see pictures of your place.

Lindsey: You know, Harry Wong says that if you share it's a sign of a good teacher! You're more than welcome to steal anything. :)

Niners said...

I agree, I was at the school from about 11:30 - 8PM, and I still didn't finish what I wanted to finish. I guess I will be there bright and early tomorrow morning, and 6:30AM. If you don't mind, will you bring your camera so I can post some pics of my classroom. Your room looks GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Steff, your classroom looks great. If I were a kid in your class, I'd think ... "way kewl"!

Jacquie

p.s. I love the monkey and the blue and orange together! Looks great.

Steff said...

Nina: I think I'll get there then too...which means I should go to bed about right now!

Diva: Thank you! I worked hard on it...I want kids to want to be in there!

Lori said...

It looks GREAT!!! It is a BIG room!!! I love the space! The monkey on the door is adorable & the reading center rocks! I love that shelf that goes under the board - I am so wanting to take that from you! ha!

Lori said...

oh and out of curiousity, what are in the pizza boxes (or at least they look like pizza boxes) on the shelf next to the reading center??

Steff said...

Lori: Yep, that shelf came with the room. It's heavy but I love it! And the pizza boxes will be our publishing center. The students will keep published works and works in progress in the pizza box. At the end of the year I'll send it home as their writing portfolio.

Melissa said...

Wow - it seems so odd that you haven't started school yet, and we've been at it for nearly a month.

Your classroom looks great!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steffany, the room looks great. AND, you're right that reading corner is awful inviting. I hope this is a great year for you. =)

Valerie said...

sure - you know how to reach me! your classroom looks pretty bright & happy!