Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Ringing In The New

The other day I posted a few of my thinks about the new year and my love/hate relationship with resolutions. I want to make some because I think they are constructive, but sometimes resolutions are a pain. So, I took (and with that I mean I borrowed, stole, and twisted) some advice from friends and fellow bloggers to help create the list below. Yes, it is in list form because I love making lists and I plan on printing this out so that today and next January 1 aren't the only times I look at it.

Now, for the part I stole. I found this quote over on my friend Bethany's blog and loved it! Mostly because more often than not most of my resolutions go by the way of the latter part of this quote.

"Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual." ~ Mark Twain

While I do think making a commitment to self-improvement is a good thing, I know realistically that I can't take this too seriously or I'll feel overwhelmed before I even begin. So, this year, instead of making resolutions I'm going to try setting goals that I'd like to accomplish or make significant progress on during the coming year. (I twisted the thoughts of Fin, Jacquie, and Tee to come up with this whole goal verses resolution thing...so thanks y'all for commenting!) Resolutions always strike me as things that you have to do and then not always because you want to do them. Goals sounds more maker-friendly. Plus, a goal is a positive thing to work toward. I also like the idea that a goal can be long or short term. Sometimes goals change, but as long as I continue to move in a forward direction I think achieving these goals will be a much easier task than trying to keep a resolution. Well, at least that is what I'm telling myself!

So, without further rambling...my 2008 goals:

1. Strive for the healthiest mind, body, and spirit possible! Yes, this is the realm of stretching my mind, weight-loss, exercise, and all things spiritual. I listed this as number one because it won't be an overnight change. Habits are often hard to change, but are usually worth the effort. I know this will be the one that will require the most dedication and I'm honest enough to realize that this one will also present me with the most temptations to give it up. I don't want to limit myself or set myself up for failure by placing a certain number of things, pounds, days at the gym, or daily quiet times on myself. I need for this goal to fit me...not the other way around!

2. Complete at least one scrapbook layout a month! For some this might seem silly, but I love to scrapbook. While I couldn't prove it from scrapbooks, I do love this hobby. It is important for me to get the big and small stuff that happens in my life down on paper. At one time I would have said this was one of my passions, and I hate to think that I let it go so easily. I'm going to inch back into this hobby and hopefully the thrill of a blank 12x12 will find me again!

3. Make one positive comment each week to the three people that irritate me to no end and make my work life pretty stressful. Okay, they don't do it all on their own. If I were a little more quick to forgive and forget and not so quick to get my feathers ruffled things might float along pretty peacefully. But, I know myself and those two things aren't likely to happen right away. I'm hoping that by finding a way to honestly (did you get that self...honestly and not facetiously)compliment or speak to them will help me in the long run relieve some of that tension and stress. I think there might be something to the killing them with kindness thing!

4. Encourage more. I'm going to encourage myself more this year. I find myself doubting my abilities in some areas and not reaching for dreams out of fear of failure. It is great to get support and strength from others, but I need to trust that inner voice that is cheering me on! Also, I'm going to encourage others. A handful of people that need encouragement have been laid on my heart. I love to send cheerful cards and little reminders that I'm here and I care about them. I'm just going to be much more diligent in doing it. It always amazes me when someone says just the right thing at just the right time and it totally makes my day. I want to give some of that amazement back!

As suggested, I'm keeping this list short. These four goals represent the areas of my life that I know would benefit the most from my efforts. Maybe every few months I'll dig this list out and re-evaluate and see how I'm doing. Baby steps...

And lastly, I want to start this year out by looking back and honestly seeing just how far I came last year (I'm completely borrowing this from Rae). Last year wasn't a perfect year for me and it had it's share of highs and lows. But, I made it through them all and even learned a thing or two along the way...which isn't that what it is all about!

I won't like everyone and not everyone will like me. But, I can find common and respectful ground to stand on with those people. I keep thinking about a song that says something to the fact that you've got to bend or you'll break. Breaking isn't fun and bending allows some new flexibility into my life.

I traveled to Mexico and solidified my desire to travel and roam! One of the highlights this year was my cruise. I loved it. I learned that having to plan and save for something you really want is worth it. I discovered that just maybe I'll be fine traveling alone. And I'm dreaming bigger about where I want to go next!

I stretched some of my personal envelopes. I've tried a few things I thought I'd never be able to do and found that I actually like that pushing. I'm taking those few baby steps I made last year in this area of my life and I'm going to keep stepping forward.

So, I've looked back and reflected. I've looked forward and set some goals. Now...bring on the year!

10 comments:

Rae said...

Yay for traveling! I love it when other people discover this desire, because it really is a delightful way to explore one's boundaries and stretch one's limits too.

Happy New Year to you too! And glad to be of assitance in reviewing your year!

Steff said...

Rae: I find that I'm a better stealer than come-up-with-on-my-owner so thanks! And yes, I've been bitten and fully infected by the travel bug. Some friends want to go to NYC for New Year's next year. I'm a nut and I'm already planning for us!

Lindsey said...

Happy New Year Steff!! Your goals are wonderful and attainable, and you're right, they DON'T happen overnight.

Melissa said...

I like that wordplay - goals instead of resolutions! And one of my goals is to scrapbook more too. I sometimes get so discouraged because I don't do it, that I don't do it more, and it becomes a cycle.

Happy New Year!

Lori said...

Great goals! I will fully support you in #2. If you need me to quiz you on your scrapbook or motivate you, I'm here! LOL! You could add to your traveling by coming to Arkansas for scrapbook night at my house once a month! :-)

Happy New Year!

Becky said...

Your resolutions sound wonderful and definitely doable. I can't wait to see what wonderful scrapbook creations you come up with. And how lucky are you to do all your travelling!! I will just live through your pictures.

Tan said...

I think you're off to a great start! This whole post has inspired me. Good luck with everything. Just take one day at a time and you will do fine with your goals. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

What fabulous goals and what a great fresh outlook. You go girlfriend!

You go!

Jacquie

WordBearer said...

My goal is cut down my drinking...but then I realized that would make me lame.

Anonymous said...

I sure wish you wonderful success with your goals Steff. That was a fun quote, huh? I love Mark Twain.