Thursday, February 28, 2008

Just Desserts

One of my jobs as Relay For Life captain is to help come up with ideas for fundraisers. Our latest idea...a silent dessert auction. After wrangling most of the team members into baking two desserts a piece, I really think this will be a success! Now, as a team member you know that I had to make two desserts too. Y'all remember my fine cooking skills right?!

I've been told I shouldn't be so hard on myself (okay she actually said I shouldn't be misleading the public) when it comes to my skills in the kitchen. I can cook. I have a handful of things that I cook/bake/throw together really well. My cooking skills just aren't exactly where I wish they were...I make huge messes in the kitchen, I set off the smoke detectors on a regular basis, and I've had some total flops. But, no one would starve if I was in charge of all the cookin'.

So, back to today's kitchen activities. I volunteered to bring a lemon cake and a chocolate cherry trifle. Sounds yummy right?! I'm hoping that they are (well actually I know that the lemon cake is wonderful!) good and look great too. Not that I'm going to be crushed, but I don't want them to bring the least amount of money. Hmm...is that wrong to say?!

Also, in addition to mixing batters and putting together the trifle, I also need to clean some berries. Tomorrow the kids are making fruit and yogurt parfaits in class. We've been talking about making healthy snack choices and they love to play with food. I really think this is the most action my kitchen has seen in a long time! At least the oven is playing nice and not smoking every time I open the door.

Now, if you'll excuse me...despite the encouragement I've given the dishes...they aren't getting busy and washing themselves. Darn dishes. They must be good friends with the laundry that doesn't wash itself either...

5 comments:

Lori said...

I love incorporating food into a lesson - we are having gummy worm jello tomorrow! ha!

Lindsey said...

I hate that dishes don't wash themselves!! Why can't they? Have fun with the parfaits! Sounds yummy!

Valerie said...

i didn't know you were back!!

smileymamaT said...

"this is the most action my kitchen has seen in a long time"...woo hoo girl, that could soooo be taken the wrong way... LOL!
Glad to see you back, now that I finally have time to visit all over. Your project sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

My oven never plays nice. Smokes EACH AND EVERY time!