Sunday, March 09, 2008

On The Road Again...

The last few weeks have found me putting the pedal to the metal and hitting the highway. Last weekend, I traveled to my grandparents for a family weekend (had a great time!) and then yesterday I headed to my parents' house to spend the week (it is much needed Spring Break time!). As I was trapped in my car for hours on end I made a few discoveries.

First, you can always go home again, but the drive never gets any shorter! It takes forever to get anywhere in the state of Texas. I mean, having lived here my whole life, I know Texas is a big state. I was telling someone just the other day that I spent about three hours driving to go about two inches on the map. And that was the short trip. I live about five hours away from my parents now. My mom always likes to ask, "Well did the road get any shorter?" and the answer is always the same...NO!

Second, we need to stop worrying about that chicken and start talking to all those poor stinky skunks about crossing the road! I've never seen so many dead skunks! Maybe it was the distance and that is why I counted so many. Poor stinky things...you'd think they would learn that cars are not friendly to skunks.

Third, it is a good thing I'm an educator because I'd never make it as a singer! In an effort to ward off the boredom, I plugged my MP3 player in and sang away. I love that thing! I guess it is a good thing I didn't give up and chunk it out the window at Christmas. LOL While it didn't totally take my mind off of how bored I was, it did make for some pretty strange looks from my fellow travelers. I was singing at the top of my lungs and dancing (well as much as you can strapped in by the seat belt) along to the songs. I'm sure I looked like I was on my way to the nut farm!

Anyway, despite the long and boring drive, I've arrived safe and in one piece. I unloaded to my mom about all the crap that has been happening at school. (Y'all, I could go on and on about it, but it is just same song different verse. Please just send thoughts and prayers my way that I find another job ASAP!) Well, after our debriefing, I resolved that I wouldn't give school another thought this week. I'm looking forward to sleeping late, catching up on some reading, and just over all having some time to just relax. My fellow teachers will completely understand that sentiment. The rest of you...sorry, but you made the wrong career choice!

11 comments:

*~Annette~* said...

LOL... FUN!

Does this mean you may be coming to the grand opening on Saturday?!???

Jaded said...

Glad you're home and relaxing.. but I beg to differ about the career choice.

I only work 20 hours a week, tops, at $65 an hour. I can wear sweats and slippers if I choose, drink tea, and my commute consists of walking from my family room, through the kitchen, to the music room. I have one student at a time and get to listen to music all day. Sorry, but I am thinking that I, in fact, have the best job on earth.

Becky said...

LOL about the drive...I used to think the same thing driving back and forth from Lubbock to Dallas. I am glad to see you reached safe and sound and don't worry about the weird looks from drivers to your singing - you go ahead girl!! Please tell your parents hello for me and I hope to hear from you soon!!

Melissa said...

If your kids have been anything like the kids in AM's class this year, you really do deserve this break!

I used to drive 500 miles one way to get to college and back. I loved doing it by myself - I stopped once, to fuel up and get lunch, and the rest of the time sang at the top of my lungs too!

marykathryn said...

Texas is a big state on doubt, being from Okla. I have traveled through the Lonestar star many, many times..hehe
Glad you found a soft place to fall..It sounds like your family is awesome and totally there for you, What a blessing!!

Steff said...

Annette: Actually no. I'm going home that day. But, I'm going to try and stop by Friday night if she's having a crop.

Jaded: Yeah, I stand corrected. Sounds like you've got a great job!

Becky: They say hello back! I'll be singing even more as I plan to add some new songs to the MP3 player.

Melissa: Yep, I don't stop unless it is for gas or an emergency potty stop. And I love my kids, but some days it is a right trial. LOL

MK: Yes, it is a huge blessing! And from what I read, you're giving that to your kids too! :)

Lori said...

Woo-hoo! Enjoy your Spring Break - mine is still 2 weeks away!

Anonymous said...

Steff: If you're interested in a local teaching job, please let me know. I might be able to help you. :o) You can reach me through myspace if you're interested... don't have a blogger...

Summer

Lindsey said...

Let's write a book about the woes of teaching....are you mentally exhausted every day, and then realize it's only lunch time?? I just don't know how ANYONE can have a family and be a teacher...good luck relaxing and enjoy every single minute of it! You deserve it Steff!!

Anonymous said...

I find myself singing in the car all the time and when I look to my left or right, many are laughing. whatever!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Is it too late for me to rethink my career choice??? Huh??