Monday, March 10, 2008

Show Me The Money

Ever have one of those days where you feel like everywhere you turn someone is demanding "Show me the money!"? Well, today was my day.

My car is a good little car and I try my best to take care of it, but today I had to take it to the shop. I went in for one little thing...the horn. See, when I got the car it had this sickening little wheeze of a horn sound. Well, after several years and just maybe one too many honks, it gave up the ghost. I also need to have the thing inspected and I knew that without the horn it wouldn't pass. So, how much could it cost to fix the horn? I wouldn't know, because it was also discovered that I needed a new headlight thing-a-mah-bob, the fuel filter and some plugs needed replacing, and the timing belt needed to be replaced. These guys are reputable and do outstanding work. My parents have used them for years, but when he said the total was $680 I just about fell out. That is more than my rent! More than my rent and cable and phone put together! I guess this is what savings accounts and rainy days are all about huh?

That was this morning.

As I mentioned before, I'm having to have my wisdom teeth extracted (sounds more dramatic!) this summer. Today was the pre-surgery consult. Well, the oral surgeon I'm using will file my insurance, but they don't accept it as payment. That means I shelled out $125 for the visit and the three second X-ray. I also found out that my bottom teeth are embedded in the jaw bone so the extraction will be a "bony extraction" which means I have to be put to sleep and the teeth have to be cut before they can be removed. I found out all kinds of scary stuff. Like, I'll be put to sleep. The surgery will take an hour and a half. Because of the position of my bottom wisdom teeth (they lay flat instead of standing up like good teeth) it will most likely being a swelling and painful recovery process. My doctor even said, "You'll probably be cussin' me for the first few days." Thanks, but that wasn't encouraging Doc. As if all that information wasn't enough...the receptionist laid the boom on me. The total (before insurance...which mine might yeah MIGHT cover only 80%) is $1645. Yeah you read that right.

I figured I'd better come home and stay put lest anyone else come find me and say I owed them money! Feel free to start a collection in my name. Okay okay I figured that one wouldn't go over, but please do send up thoughts and prayers that my insurance will cover the full 80%. My checking account and I would really appreciate it!

11 comments:

Niners said...

Yeah well we are about in the same boat. I went to the dentist today only to find out that I am going to have to have a root canal and a crown. Depending on the treatment plan I go with, it's going to cost me either $450 or $689 (even when we go to the dentist, you still manage to spend more than me). Now I really need a job paying more money.

Steff said...

Nina: That totally sucks. It totally sucks that even at the dentist I spend more than you. What is up with that?!

Nikky said...

I feel your pain, dear. I had to have my 4 wisdom teeth cut out a few years back, with NO insurance... pain in the mouth AND the checkbook... just do as the evil man says to avoid that whole dry socket thing, you do NOT want that!

Lori said...

Yikes! I hate it when those extra bills start piling up!! I need to take my Jeep in to have a few things worked on but I'm scared. After seeing your total, I'll keep procrastinating! ha! Sending good money thoughts your way!!!

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not Steffy, if they did your timing belt for anything under four figures, you got off easy, at least by NY standards.

And yes, that IS what savings accounts are for. Anyhow, it sounds like a rough week moneywise.

Fin

Niners said...

I was clearly mistaken, I think I will be paying more than you at the dentist. I hate teeth.

Anonymous said...

LOL... welcome to adulthood. The real world sucks sometimes, but that's just part of it. If you haven't had a car payment for a while, the repair bill isn't too bad. That's only like two months worth of payments. ;)

My wisdom teeth were also impacted on the bottom. You will be VERY sore if they have to work to break the teeth into pieces before they remove them. It was worse than childbirth for me to be quite honest. Hang in there though. It does get better!

Steff said...

Nikky: I absolutely do want to avoid the dry socket. I've heard that is ultra painful.

Lori: I just keep consoling myself with the fact that if the timing belt had broke I'd be in a deeper world of hurt. LOL

Fin: I know, but I'd rather be saving for a vacation trip rather than dental and car work. Oh well...

Nina: Oh no! What now?!

Anonymous: You know, my mom said that exact same thing about not having a car payment so this is just the upkeep on a free car. Still...

Lindsey said...

When it rains it pours, right?? It'll work out...it always does somehow. I wish I could send you hugs with dollars attached:)

Anonymous said...

What depressing news on your week off. However, trust me on this, it's much better to have the timing belt replaced before it goes... much LESS expensive that way. So, how is it out there in the far reaches of West Texas. I hope you're having a good week at home.

Anonymous said...

Darn those thing-a-mah-bobs!! ...and I'm thinkin' now that I might want to change my career choice to ORAL SURGEON. (Hope you have a speedy recovery!)