Thursday, March 27, 2008

For The Honk Of It

After all this time, you guys probably know just how easily amused I am. Usually that amusement comes from things I see or hear, but today I was totally amused by myself. Being able to laugh at yourself is a sign of a healthy self esteem...or so I'm told. Well, today I'm extremely healthy!

A few weeks ago, I had to have my car put in the shop (code words for I had to spend an exuberant amount of money...). I had originally decided to have it looked at because my horn had all but given up the ghost. Seriously, this would be the best post to make audible. I'm sure you'd be highly amused to hear me wheeze and whooo like my practically dead horn, but alas I'm not that technologically advanced. So, just imagine me sitting here making wheezey and whoooy noises. The replacing of the horn was needed so my car would pass inspection. Well, I am definitely going to pass inspection!

Today after school, I needed to run to the little mail shipping place I use to drop off a package. The box was kind of bulky so I didn't want to wag in more than necessary. I grabbed my purse (also kind of bulky) and set it against the steering wheel to dig out my checkbook. Now, pre-outrageous amount to fix car (can you tell I'm still a little bitter about the loss of that $680?) I could have sat on the horn and it wouldn't have made a peep. Well, post-fix the horn is how shall I say...sensitive. Apparently the edge of my purse was pressing against the center of the wheel. When I reached into the pocket to grab my checkbook I pressed a little too hard I guess.

Now, here is the part that just tickles my funny bone. I didn't realize it at the time, but there was another lady parked next to me that walking in front of my car at the exact moment I pressed a little too hard. My horn, now fully functional and loud, tooted big time. Startled, I looked up to see her jump and I guess I hit it because before I knew it the horn was going off...again. I couldn't get my purse off my lap fast enough. By that time, I was tickled by seeing her jump and then me jump and then that horn going off again.

I did manage to get out of the car, with my checkbook, and the box without further incident. I apologized to her once I got inside the building. Thankfully, she was super nice about it all! Even she joined in with a little chuckle of her own. She did say it was a good thing she's worn her Depends. You just have to like a woman that can laugh at the fact that she needs "leakage" protection!

If all that wasn't bad enough, on the way to my next stop I hit the horn again. Now, if you knew my family you would understand this total "Mimi moment". Several years ago, my Mimi had this van that must have been possessed. The horn would just go off at random times. No one ever wanted to ride in that thing, but it sure was funny when you did! So, needless to say, from here on out (or until this horn goes all wheezey and whoooy) I will make sure I'll watch exactly what I put against the wheel!

13 comments:

marykathryn said...

That post gave me a chuckle! That totally sounds like something I would do..hehe
Sorry I didn't get back to your email, I have been crazy busy and then Trina finally did have the baby last night..Pics on her blog if you are interested..But I'm sure your not, right?..LOL

Anonymous said...

When we first got the car I currently drive, I kept doing the horn on accident while driving. I guess the steering wheel kind of bulged out larger than what I was used to, and the place where I would normally rest my hand/arm now set off the horn. It has caused some embarrassing moments to say the least, but I'm used to it now (I think.)

*~Annette~* said...

ROFL!!! A couple weeks ago, I ended up trying to unlock a van that wasn't mine. Irony was that the aldy who owned the van (which looked identical to mine and parked a row over) was trying to unlock MINE at the same time! Talk about sheepish.

Melissa said...

Ha ha - that's like my husband's (two door) Jeep Cherokee, wherein the horn goes off every time he lifts his seat up so our daughter can get in the back. It's pretty annoying!

Lindsey said...

Hahaha!! Cute story...love the depends comment!

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaded said...

That's so funny...I'm sitting here laughing! You have to know exactly where to hit my horn to get it to work. The funniest thing is watching Mr. Jaded try to blow the horn and all he does is smack the steering wheel a few times because he doesn't know the right spot. That always cracks me up!

I'm with you on the huge money being a sore spot. I need to get my side view mirror fixed. Some kid vandalized the car and the mirror is still attached but not properly. It's gonna cost 350 bucks. For the mirror. I'll wait until next year when my car is due for inspection.

Lori said...

Great story - I would've had the giggles too!

Anonymous said...

Someone posted a youtube video that is appropriate, of an old lady crossing in front of some guy in a convertable who blows his horn at her.

She smacks his car with her purse and sets off his airbag.

Oh and some JSers claim, Jaded, that you can hold your outside mirror in place with duct tape.

smileymamaT said...

HA that WAS funny. The other day a jerk cut us off while driving and I would have beeped, but I was a passenger, so I banged the dashboard a few times and yelled A$$#o(@! Then SmileyDad, who was driving, looked at me... and there was a pause... and then he hit the horn (the driver was a mile away by then). He says, There, you feel better?
HA! he cracks me up.
I might need some Depends too, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Valerie said...

see? you gotta laugh about something, even though it won't be about spending $680 on a horn, when you COULD just lean out the window and yell 'HEY! GET OUTTA MY WAY, MORON!!'

Ashlie said...

That's too funny! Sounds like something I would do!

Ashlie said...

Hey! I was wondering if you could send me your e-mail address so I can add you to my blog's invited readers list. If you'd like to be an invited reader, that is! :) My e-mail is ash_kat81@yahoo.com. Thanks!