Monday, March 17, 2008

Pinch Protection

I keep saying it and once again, I really should write down all the funny things kids say to their teachers and write a book! Some days the best part of the job is what comes out of their little mouths.

As I'm sure you guys are well aware, today was St. Patrick's Day. Like most people, I wore green in an effort to avoid any pinch activity. See...I thought I looked pretty good for the first Monday back after Spring Break.



Anyway, as the kids came into the classroom, I looked them over from head to toe and if I didn't see green they had to endure a little pinch (please don't turn me in for child abuse...I swear it was the gentlest of pinches!) before they could enter. Out of sixteen kids only two needed a pinch. Our morning was running pretty smoothly when one of my boys just about came out of his seat waving his arm.

"Ms. Stewart, can I pinch you?"
"No! You only can pinch if the person is not wearing green."
"Ms. Stewart, you shouldn't have worn green. We all want to pinch you!"

I wasn't sure how to respond to that kind of logic! I reminded him that I didn't want to get pinched so I wore green as pinch protection.

Later in the day, I met up with my Pre-K friends (I think I hear a calling to go back to Pre-K...a whole other blog post...) and one of the little dolls that loves to give me hugs every afternoon ran up to me. She grabbed my name badge and pointed to my name. I should mention that my first and last name is printed on my badge under my picture. She pointed to each letter in my first name as she said the letters out loud. Then she said, "That says Ms." She repeated the same thing with my last name. Then she said, "That says Stewart."

She was so excited that she looked up at me and said, "I can read!". She was just so darn adorable! Kids...gotta love 'em!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you look very cute in your green St. Patty's Day pinch protection! Write that book, I'd love to read it!

Becky said...

LOL! Love the green - very cute and very festive. I got comments at work that I wore too much green. I just had a light sweater and a green/blue skirt on it. I was just itching to pinch someone! :) The kiddos are SO cute!! I bet you are never bored at work. And I did get your email...just trying to find the time to write you back everything I want to!!

Steff said...

Tan: Thanks for the encouragement!

Becky: Glad to hear that everything is going well! I was worried about you. And can you ever really wear too much green on St. Patrick's Day?!

Melissa said...

I think everyone should be around small kids on St. Patrick's Day. Because Anna Marie made sure that her dad and I wore green, but when I went about my day, it looked like almost no one else was!

Too bad it would've been bad form to pinch members of our city's planning commission.

Lori said...

You look so cute for St. Patrick's Day!

Ashlie said...

That's too funny! I love the sweet and sassy things that kids say! Very cute hat by the way!