Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring Cleanin'

Just thought I'd share...this is my 350 post! Who would have thought I'd have so much to say?!

I was off on Friday (district says it is a bad weather day and the calendar says that it is Good Friday) and was so glad! We've only got ten weeks of school left. The year has just flown by...it is so crazy! Anyway, I spent yesterday out with the girls. We went shopping, had a great lunch out, and then saw a movie. Busy day so I slept extra late this morning. I think with Spring Break last week and yesterday off I'm getting into a habit that I hate to break come Monday morning. I also had to remind myself that it wasn't Sunday and I had an "extra" day off.

Being that it is now officially Spring and I had some time on my hands I decided to do some in-depth cleaning. Y'all pretty much know how I feel about chores so why bore everyone again, but oh I hate house work! I'll make someone such a terrible wife one day. Ha ha...that was a joke! Well, sorta...

I've vacuumed and scrubbed stuff. I've washed curtains and sheets. Now I need to start organizing stuff. My bathroom closet looks like a mini drug store and linens store exploded. I'm contemplating the pantry and spice rack next, but we'll see. I'm not all that into cooking so maybe it could wait.

Along the lines of needing to sweep the dust bunnies off the rafters and ceiling fans, I started thinking about other things that could probably use a good cleaning. You know the things that aren't "household items". Things like my attitude toward people at work. Instead of letting it get me down I need to just clean it up and realize that there are only a handful of weeks left to have to deal with these people. I also need to dust off the stamps and my address book. I got a card from a friend and realized just how long it has been since I sent out mail happiness to people. I also need to tackle my closets. I have clothes for all the seasons just thrown in together in the bedroom closet. Yes, I am one of those people who try to keep the seasonal clothes all together and change them out from the spare bedroom closet to my actual bedroom closet. It is a sickness I tell you! Plus, I need to get rid of some things! I've been getting more movement in and thanks to more nights cooking rather than eating out, I'm down 10 pounds and some things are too big in the waist now. That kind of cleaning is always a good thing right?!

So, I'm taking time to reflect about what the Easter holiday means to me on a spiritual level, but I'm also looking at it from the perspective of someone who needs to shake off the dullness and blues of the Winter and get into the new groove of Spring! I look outside (I have six windows in my living room and the view is just gorgeous out there) and see everything green and getting ready to bloom. It is invigorating! I hope you can find some time to catch that same feeling too!

12 comments:

*~Annette~* said...

LOL.. you sound like me. I wanna clean ... but...

as for my LO's that I've done (you commented) those are TOTAL DIGITAL!!!!!

Steff said...

Annette: Don't care...totally stealing the design look! Lock me up...I'm a scraplifter! LOL

Jaded said...

I need cleaning motivation!! I've been too busy to even think about it, but when I walk into my messy bedroom, I get annoyed!

Here's the recipe. It's SUPER simple, and I get requests for this all the time!

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling
1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 cup caramel topping
12 pecan halves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped pecans - (Optional, or can use walnuts)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Reserve 3/4 cup of the apple filling; set aside.

Spoon the remaining filling into the crust.

Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Pour this over the pie filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set. Cool to room temperature.

Mix the reserved pie filling and caramel topping in a small saucepan and heat for about 1 minute, or until spreadable. Spoon the apple-caramel mixture over the top of the cheesecake and spread evenly. Decorate the edge of the cake with pecan halves and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.

Jaded said...

PS:

Happy Easter!!

Lindsey said...

I feel it Steff. I really do. You have inspired me to clean later today after church and dinner. It doesn't take much for me to start cleaning, but I love the feeling it gives me when I'm done!! Good luck with all your's and Happy Easter girl!! You can make 10 weeks. You can do it!!

Steff said...

Jaded: Thank you so much for the recipe! I can't wait to try it!

Lindsey: Oh I know...I hate to clean, but I feel so much better after everything is spick and span. :)

Becky said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who hates cleaning!! I need to get bitten by the Spring Cleaning bug -send it my way!! You sound like you did a great job!! Matt and I have been looking at houses - hope to buy our first this summer/fall. I love your idea about feelings toward people at work...me too!! Oh congrats on your weight loss!! You go girl!!

Steff said...

Becky: Well, it isn't any 20 pounds like SOME people, but I'm happy that it is still going down! I can't wait to see what you do with an entire house!

Anonymous said...

Steff,

I am one of those ppl that constantly cleans out closets, etc. Drives my dh crazy. That being said, I hate cleaning and I despise cooking more. Makes absolutely no sense.

Hope you have a great 'cleansing' experience. Congrats on the 350th. I always love what you have to say!

Hope you have a wonderful blessed Easter!

Jacquie

Lori said...

I know what you mean about only 10 weeks left of school - the year has flown by!

Bring on the Spring weather though - I am ready! I love spring!! Hope you had a good Easter (even with the cleaning!). Congrats on the 10lbs! That's awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

haha I've ALREADY made somebody a bad wife!! Don't worry, it will be okay. He'll love you anyway!

Here's to spring cleaning and re-organizing! That's what I have on my agenda for the upcoming week. Ugh.

Lauren said...

A really EASY way to organize your spices is with the empty spice cabinet called SpiceStack! SpiceStack holds 27+ spice bottles in your kitchen cabinet (Read: out of the way, out of eyesight and off the countertop!). Best of all, the drop down drawers allow you to find the spice you need quickly while cooking. Not bad for $29.95 - check it out at SpiceStack.com and Happy Organizing!