Saturday, May 31, 2008

On The Hunt

I again tackled apartment hunting today. I thought (well still mostly think) I'd hit the jackpot on the third complex. My "demands" were met...ground floor, price range, dishwasher, etc. The apartment was clean and everything seemed to be well maintained. Of course knowing the importance of not taking the first thing that comes along, I went ahead and kept looking.

I should stop here and give a huge shout out to my cousin who came with me. Thanks Amanda! Your insight was helpful!

Okay, so we looked at about four more. I still thought the best place for me was Apartment Three. I went back and filled out the application and left a deposit. I was still feeling comfortable with where I'd chosen. It is on the "good" side of town. My good friend lives across the street. Everything felt right.

Well, on my way home, my mom calls and tells me to look online. She had stumbled across some stuff that didn't sound so...right. Now, I know that not everyone is a satisfied renter, but the handful of ratings that were listed about this property weren't good. So, now I'm sort of worried. I mean I know looks can be deceiving, but that deceiving?

I called my friend that lives across the street and she was a little surprised to hear about the problems. I called the police department in an effort to find out about the safety and crime associated with the apartment complex. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday to talk to records. Also, Monday I'm supposed to hear back from the complex about the application status. I'll be sure to be asking about the laundry list of complaints.

So, while I'm not ready to say stop the presses, I am in need of a little bit more information. Seems I'm doing a lot of waiting lately. In case you can't tell...I hate waiting. Yeah yeah...I know all about a virtue called patience...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you can always get your deposit back (I hope) and go find another place? I'm already biased against apartments - I hate apartment living - so I can't offer much except that around these parts, there are plenty of apartment sites where current and ex-renters go and give their opinion of any given place. Maybe there are sites like that for your area, too?
bb

Anonymous said...

Hey, in my experience (which I'm sure you're tired of hearing by now) most "complaints" (comments) about apartment complexes are left be people who were very upset about something that has happened (sometimes their own fault) but the ones who had a good experience don't always go and tell about it online. EVERY apartment I've been in has had bad complaints online, and I've never really had a problem in any of them. (just one had too thin walls, but it wasn't horrible) So keep in mind that those complaints are only a small percentage of the people who rented there. Hope this helps....love you!

Melissa said...

Did you know, in my nearly 10 years of marriage, I've never had to go house hunting? When we got married, a couple from the church had a house come open, and then when we got ready to move from my mom's house down here, a co-worker's son was moving and she thought his house would be good for us. Hearing what you've been going through, I'm starting to see what a blessing that is!

Lori said...

I am not good at patience either so I have no words of wisdom - good luck!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are doing a thorough, methodical job and doing all the right things, so the outcome should work out ok.

Good luck.

Fin