Sunday, May 25, 2008

What A Bust

I think I've made a decision. No matter what happens job wise (I still haven't heard anything from anywhere...no one wants me...whaaa!) I will be moving. Several things have prompted this...mostly that I'm not happy in Huntsville. Also, this trailer is falling down around my ears and I'm not up to duck taping it together. So...I'm moving.

Where you might ask...I don't know.

When you might ask...another great question.

I have a time frame, but things seldom line up in my time frame. If you know me, you'd know that I just love (read H.A.T.E.) this kind of a plan.

Always trying to stay on top of things and keep in control what I can, I went house hunting in Conroe. Well, let me amend that. I started out house hunting and came to the realization that if I truly am not wanted anywhere else I'll have to be living on my current budget which means I can only afford to apartment hunt.

I should stop and say (or whine about) that I hate living in apartments. I like quiet. I usually like a yard (though seriously the creepy crawlies that go with grass...), and I'm picky in that I don't want to trek up stairs to get to my front door. Also, I'd like to have lots of room. Apartments aren't my first choice, but I'm discovering that they might be my only choice.

Okay, back to my house...err...apartment hunting this weekend. The places I could afford are the places where I'd be afraid for my life. And the places that were the nicest were for the drug dealing baby factories that are considered low income. (No offense to any drug dealing baby factories that are reading...) I learned quickly that I was what these apartments call "over qualified" and I need to look at "conventional" apartments.

So, this is my life at the moment. Packing up one residence to get ready to move to a still unknown residence. Also, there are only 7 days of school left so things are pretty crazy right now. This year has gone by so fast, but I think my little darlings are ready to move on from second grade. We all done good this year!

I hope you guys enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend! I've got laundry to finish (don't I always though...) and I think I might even scrap a little tonight or tomorrow, but other than that I'm just going to enjoy and rest for the rest of the long weekend. I hope you get to do that too!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several of the Katrina victims from another state have also found the same situation vis a vis their apartment hunting. There does not seem to be ANY affordable but nice housing anywhere down there.

Fin

Niners said...

This weekend was fun. We should do it again'

Steff said...

Fin: It was very frustrating. I'm sure the right house is out there for me...I just have to find it. Wish me luck!

Nina: It was a lot of fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I know what I did may not be the optimal situation for any or everyone - but it does work in getting a bigger house and simply having tenants living in rooms to pay for it : ) New "trailers" are very nice - and fairly affordable, depending on the cost of the property. I've had my share of troubles with this new place, but nothing major - yet anyway - and yes, I had an issue with that ex-tenant from hell, but that was the only one, everyone else I've had in here are quiet people, clean and basically keep to themselves.
Something to consider, anyway. Good luck in your hunting, whatever you end up doing!
bb

Lindsey said...

Oh the joys of home hunting....you will find a place soon...and you have the summer to look too!!!

Becky said...

Steff,
I am sorry to hear that you are having a tough time with the job/moving. I hear you on the apartments! I am SO ready to be out of ours. Are you just wanting to stay in the Conroe/Houston area? If you need any help moving, let me know! Keep me posted on your situation - haven't talked in awhile! :)

Steff said...

Ben: I'm not the kind of person that does well with roomies. To be truthful I'm not even sure how I'll do with my husband someday. LOL!

Lindsey: My home is out there...I just need to find it. :)

Becky: Yep, I've decided that I want to stay in this part of Texas. The offer is nice, but I'm going to get movers. I've missed talking and catching up with you, but I've been horrible at staying in touch too. I'll see if I can fix that!

Lori said...

Your place is out there...I remember getting frustrated looking for my house after divorce b/c I was suddenly on my own with a teacher's salary. It wasn't easy finding a nice house that I could afford and there were days when I just sat down and cried, but eventually I stumbled upon a great, affordable neighborhood. YOU can too - just don't give up!!
Good luck house/apt. hunting AND closing school! urgh!

Steff said...

Lori: I hope so! I'll have to post about this retirement village I stumbled upon. I think they are just about my speed. Ha!