Saturday, August 23, 2008

And Now The After

Putting together a classroom (from scratch no less...if you're not sure what scratch means then look down a post) in one week isn't for the faint of heart! And saying one week isn't really a true description...try about 30 hours total. This week has pretty much been one of those "through the wringer" type weeks. I'll spare you the details and me the remembering. Actually I'll spare you lots of babbling as I'm wiped out.

From the door of my classroom, this is what it now looks like. The cabinets are in their rightful place and tables now dominate the floor. I wasn't sure I'd like these tables (as opposed to individual desks) but I love them! The X arrangement adds a lot of room too.

From the far corner, this is another shot of the room. In this one you can see part of my desk and that huge blackboard. I asked for a small easel to do writer's workshop at and this is what was delivered. I should have plenty of room!

I couldn't do exactly what I'd planned with that pillar because the computer connections are on the other side of it. But, with the back of the filing cabinet in that little nook it rounded out as a pretty good reading center. I decided to keep my jungle theme as I had the pillows and such. I think every kid at Meet and Greet last night had to pet it. Looks like a hit!

There is a lot more I could tell you and show you, but as I mentioned...wringer week...so if you're really interested in seeing more of the classroom, just email me and I'll send you the slide show. Now, if you'll excuse me a couch is calling my backside.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steff,

I think it looks terrific. You did a fine job. I bet you ARE just beat! Can you at least rest tomorrow?

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!! You did such a great job!! Petunia's class uses tables instead of individual desks. Her teacher much prefers it. And they do writer's workshop too!

If you think about it, I'd love to see all the pics. Get some rest!!

Lindsey said...

I love it too!! And email me the slideshow, you know I love seeing that stuff!! I can feel your whining back muscles from here. This is the first year I didn't have a major overhaul going on in my room, but I DO REMEMBER what it is like.

Steff said...

Jax: Nope...I'm helping my cousin move a loveseat that has recliners on both ends. Tomorrow will probably be another couch calling my backside kind of night.

JG: I think I'll like these tables better too. I want to foster a community type feel and I think this will help.

Lindsey: It helped me get through the whole process knowing that next year won't be nearly as bad. Thank goodness for Advil!

Lori said...

I love it! Can't wait to hear all about the kiddo's!! It is so much work at the beginning of the year, but I love it anyway!

Niners said...

I can't wait to her about your first day, and to tell about mine.

Becky said...

Steff,
It looks wonderful! Love all the fabulous colors and the reading area looks perfect! Can't wait to hear all about your first day of school in your school. Thinking of you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Your classroom looks great Steff! So homey and comfortable. Now that I see how much work went into I can see why my blog got late night hits from your work server. ;) You must have spent hours and hours on this.

Our lower elementary uses the tables and I really like the way that works for the children.

Anonymous said...

I am thinkin' the new district is feeling darn glad that they got ya!

Bethany's SO

Rae said...

Just do not envy you having to do that. You teachers are such saints.