Monday, September 15, 2008

In The Aftermath

I survived...though not as I would have liked. Let me first say that I am alive and well! Thank you for all the well wishes, thoughts, and prayers too. I'm not still in the Houston area, but rather decided to evacuate myself to my parents' home further north. Something I'm now wishing I had done Friday morning...

In my last post, I said that I was prepared, but this wasn't one hundred percent true as I soon discovered. I had my batteries for my lantern (though just enough to start it working...not enough for when those would have eventually ran out), batteries in my radio (but again...not enough), and some crackers, water, pudding, and beef jerky type things to eat. I'm sure anyone else that has endured the damages and fall out of a hurricane are smiling smugly. I was so totally unprepared. I admit it and believe me...learning from my mistakes.

I had power (which I was so taking for granted) all day and night Friday. I went to bed about midnight Friday with the thought of sleeping through Ike and waking up Saturday morning to it being mostly over. Around 4am Ike was hitting Conroe. Looking out the window was very interesting. I'd never seen trees bend so far over and the rain looked like it was literally blowing in sideways. As I watched, the power went out. After checking that my make shift sandbag was holding, I got back in bed. Saturday morning the eye had passed us, but we were still in for the southern eye wall. While I didn't have power at my apartment, I did have service on my cell phone. At some point in the morning that went too and the day became quite miserable.

I was bored beyond belief and getting pretty sick of beef jerky and cheezits. Saturday night was pretty rough on me. When the sun went down and all went dark, I sort of lost it. I should say that one of my worst fears is being alone in the dark. Every time I tried to lay down (even with the portable radio...which was starting to run low on battery juice) and turn the lantern out, I'd start to feel like I couldn't breathe. It was a miserable night. I'm not sure I slept very much. I was up and dressed as soon as the sun was starting to rise. I was having to drive almost five miles outside of town just to get service on my cell phone. As soon as I talked to my principal who confirmed we'd not be having school Monday, I called my mom and told her Toby and I were heading to our safe place...home.

So, here I sit...in my safe, lighted, cool air blowing place. School is out until at least Thursday with the possibility of longer so for now I'm staying put. Believe me, if this happens again...and I'm sure it will given where I choose to call home...I'll be making the evacuation trek along with everyone else. But, for now I'm safe and supposedly my home is safe. And in the end...that is really all that matters.

Please continue to send up thoughts and prayers for those still down there or still being effected in some way by Ike. It truly is a mess down there and the recovery probably won't be quick and painless. I have pictures to share once I'm back home and can upload them.

11 comments:

Becky said...

I am sorry you had endure all that - I know it wasn't fun in the slightest. I am glad to hear that you are safe and sound at home with your parents. I bet A/C and electricity never felt so good huh? Please do let me know if you need anything. You are always welcome here.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad to hear you were safe - and that next time, you'll be getting the heck out of Dodge!

Lori said...

Glad you and Toby are safe...silly girl! :-)

Rae said...

I'm so glad you are safe! I would have freaked on Saturday too...I don't mind the dark normally, but when it is forced on me? Yikes!

Steff said...

Becky: Thank you so much for all the information you provided today. It was very helpful to finally hear something abou the power situation!

Melissa: Oh yes...next time I certainly will. While dealing with Ike himself wasn't too awful, the fall out has been too much to bear. A friend mentioned today that we could be without power for up to eight weeks as a substation in Conroe was destroyed.

Lori: You aren't the first and probably won't be the last to call me a silly girl. I certainly was.

Rae: Yes, it was frightening. AC and lights and a hot shower have never felt so good!

Anonymous said...

I was going to email this morning if you hadn't managed to post. I am so glad you are okay and the apartment didn't flood. I'm also very glad you were able to leave for a while. To your knowlege do they have electricity back up in your area?

You know Saturday morning as I watched the storm move over Conroe I thought to myself, "why didn't I call Steff yesterday and suggest a little more thorough preparation?" For the last storm here, I made sure the Winnie had gas in the generator, that there was bottled water, water to flush toilets, food, charcoal to cook if the electricity went, etc, etc... living on the gulf coast teaches you a little about storm preparation. May I suggest that in the future you buy one of those hand crank flashlight/radios... they're marvelous!

Lindsey said...

GLad you are safe!!!!

Sophia said...

Glad to hear you are HOME where Huricanes don't reach us. I will keep you in our prayers for a safe return home

Anonymous said...

SO glad to hear that you are safe, but SO sorry to hear how much you had to go through!! Please keep us posted!!

doodlebugmom said...

I am glad you are safe. Beef jerky and cheeze its? oh my! :o)

Allison said...

Glad you're safe! Rumor has it the campus group I went to Mississippi with to do Katrina repair is already planning a trip to Texas, so I may be down there come Spring Break!