Friday, September 26, 2008

Wrecked

With a title like that you just know this can't be a good post right? Well, it isn't...

Last night on my way home from work, I was involved in a car accident. Maybe involved is the wrong word...I was the cause of the accident, I was the totaled car in the accident, I was the royally screwed party (albeit by my own screwing...that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean) in the accident.

I had just merged onto I45 and was stuck in a pile of cars waiting to use a one lane exit. Anyway, being my patient self, I was ready to move over into the next lane where traffic was going faster. I saw that the car ahead of me had the same idea, but we had at least one and possibly two car lengths between us. We moved over and just as I checked my side view mirror to see if I was clear, I hit her.

Once we got pulled over to the side of the road, I got out and immediately asked about her. She said that she was fine, and then she explained that a school bus cut her off to merge so she had to slow down. While she said she braked (I don't know...I was looking the side view mirror) when I hit her there were no brake lights on. She admitted that she was just putting her foot back on the gas when I hit her. After settling that, and deciding to call the police, I got my first good look at my car. My crunched up front end car. My leaking fluid all over the road car. My crap this can't be good car. Have I gotten across the point that the car isn't in good shape?

After what seemed like forever, the state trooper came, I was given the ticket (of course...), the kinda scary but very nice tow truck driver hooked up my car, and a friend came and got me, and then I had to call my parents. Let me just interject that I have very kind and concerned parents. Yes, they were concerned about me, but they were also understanding about the situation too. The most unfortunate part of the whole deal...my car probably isn't worth what it will take to fix it. I'd lay money on the fact that a new car is in my immediate future. While that prospect does excite me, the budget side is a little frightening. I like a cushion in the bank and this will turn my cushion into a thin piece of mosquito netting. I also haven't said it out loud (typing it isn't the same as saying it out loud) but my Jordan trip just might have to be put on hold. I hate it and right now I'm trying to find any single way to still make that work, but I'm also a realist and it just might not be possible for December. Sigh...I just got sad.

I took today off from work (main reason...can't walk the 30 mile commute) to get started on the claims process and trying to find a rental car. You would think that should have been easy, but with this Hurricane Ike business (have I mentioned how disillusioned I am by hurricanes now?) there are practically no cars to be found. Thankfully, the fourth place I called has three full size sedans to pick from...I think I'm getting the Hyundai Sonata. *EDIT...just found out it is going to be a Toyota Camry that I'm getting...*Anyway, at least I'll have some transportation until I know what my options are for the car.

So, as my mom said this morning, I'll have to dig deep and find my well hidden cache of patience and ride this thing out. I'm normally a glass half empty kind of girl, but I'm trying to see the positives here...I'm okay! I might get a new car...which I've been thinking about and working toward! While it isn't how I'd choose to spend it, I do have a cushion so that this won't break me. (That doesn't get a !...) I have a friend that didn't mind driving out of her way to come and get me! I have parents that love me and would have given up their plans for the weekend to come down and help me through this if I thought I'd needed them to!

All in all...I'm still very blessed and for that I'm very thankful!

9 comments:

Becky said...

Steff,
Oh no! I am glad to hear that you are okay...sorry to hear about your car. And major props to you for trying to focus on the positives. Don't stress about your Jordan trip - God has a way of allowing things to work out. I will keep you and the situation in my prayers. Please let me know if you need anything!!

Nikky said...

Oh, Steff, I'm so glad to hear that you are ok, that's the main thing, cars can be (and probably will be!) replaced, but you cannot! You are one of a kind, and I'm glad you're seeing the bright side of this scary situation.

Plus, look at the rental as an extended test drive, I've heard good things about the Camry...

Anonymous said...

Oh Steff, so glad to read that YOU are ok. Forget the car! Remember, everything in life is done for a reason. Don't question it!

Keep the Faith Hon!

Jacquie

Trina said...

I am sooo sorry about it ALL!! Ugh! Hopefully, something good comes out of this mess. I am glad that you are okay, that is a HUGE blessing!

BTW I love your quote of the week. Friends are like elevator buttons....LOL So true so true!!!

Melissa said...

Good to know you're fine, and maybe with the economy in its present state, you can get a good deal on a new car!

doodlebugmom said...

as long as everyone is ok, that's all that is important.

Anonymous said...

Wow - SO glad to hear that you're ok. Secondly, congrats on the new car. Third - so glad you're OK!!!

Lori said...

Glad you are ok - that is the most important part! And, be thankful you have that emergency fund! Just think how bad it would be if you didn't have back up. Try to just be excited about a new car and not the circumstances around it! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Thank God nobody was hurt and thank God also for a cushion. It makes a whale of a difference when you total a car, trust me.

fin