Saturday, October 04, 2008

Worth A Thousand Words

There have been some changes in my little world recently. I could go on and on, but aren't pictures better? Now don't get excited yet, I still plan to be a little bit wordy about each picture. Thought you were getting out easy huh?!

Charlie
Charlie is the newest addition to my little family. Toby has been really great about me being at work all day and him being home alone. But, sometimes, I just know he wishes there was more to do...I know this due to some bite marks and other naughtiness found around my house. So, because I was at the end of my rope with him, I decided to get him a friend to have for company. Enter Charlie...an adorable 10 week old kitten I rescued. Last night was his first night with us and after a few minutes of hissing and growling (yep, cats growl...who knew?) the boys settled right into a friendship. The played all night and were playing this morning when I got up. I think this is going to be the perfect solution!
Ike

Thankfully, any effects from Ike are starting to fade. I have my power, debris has been cleared away, and things are starting to return to normal. Despite all that, I wanted to go ahead and post a picture of the damage that happened around me. This tree is less than 100 feet from my front door. I was very lucky. As you can see, there was some minor flooding of the sidewalks. Also, that thing that looks like a big eye next to the roots is actually a part of the lamp post by my apartment. Ike hit very early Saturday morning and I took these pictures about mid morning Saturday. With the debris and such I probably shouldn't have been out walking around, but sometimes you just have to get a picture.

Wreck

When I went to the body shop to snap these pictures, I had a strange feeling. Perhaps it was because I was PMSing, overwhelmed by the prospect of buying a new car, or simply grateful that the car took the brunt of the accident instead of my body, but I was a little emotional about turning this car over to be totaled. I took all my things out of it and pulled off my two car magnet things and waved goodbye. This car was a good little car. It saw me through college, my first job, and always got me home safely when I ventured across the state to see my parents. While I'd been planning on getting a new car, I wasn't really ready to let this one go. But, looking on the bright side (see...I am trying) I wouldn't be able to get a new one until I got rid of this one. And I've decided that, while a little unnerving, the whole buying a car process excites me!

So there you go...my world in a few pictures.

7 comments:

smileymamaT said...

Wow. Great photo of the storm damage, and glad to see the tree did not land in your doorway!
We have no hurricanes here, although I grew up with them in the south. Here, we just have tons... and tons... of snow.

I remember that feeling of "leaving your car behind" when our stolen van last summer was declared a total loss... how very strange.
And, welcome Charlie! (yep, cats hiss. They also like to hide in paper bags, will groom each other, and occasionally play fetch!) Enjoy!

Melissa said...

Glad that tree didn't fall towards your house! And glad that the solution to Toby's behavior was as "simple" as getting another cat.

(I have a soft spot in my heart for orange cats - we had one named Columbo when I was a teenager.)

Lori said...

Charlie is too cute! Orange cats have a soft spot with me too. My first cat was an orange tabby. You will love watching them play and entertain you!
Can't wait to see what car you end up with. :-)

Becky said...

Charlie is adorable! I am so glad that he and Toby are getting along! It was SO nice to talk to you last night. You are right - we need to talk via actual phone conversations more often. I am so happy to see that the damage near your place wasn't too severe. I remember your beloved car from college...the trips on errands, to church, to home and back...it will be missed!! God sees our needs and He will provide. I have that in my forefront as well. Let me know if you find that website for the craft thing in November - I am SO excited about going!!

Anonymous said...

Absent rather substantial engine damage on the right hand side, the wreck does not look [to me] like a total write-off. But I am not in the business.

I wonder if, like doctors, you can get a second opinion before losing it.

doodlebugmom said...

Aww, Charlie is so cute!

I remember going to visit my totaled vehicle, its kind of a humbling experience isn't it? I was like: "Wow, I am so lucky! Its just a vehicle." *Mine had lots more broken glass so I just grabbed the keys I needed, personal stuff from the glove box, and left the other stuff behind.

Nikky said...

Charlie is adorable! I'm glad he and Toby decided to be friends, they'll keep you, and each other entertained for a long time!

Ike and the wreck, wow, two things that make you realize that you're either very lucky, or fate has other things in mind for you, little missy! LOL