Friday, June 15, 2007

Learn From Me

Today I was reminded of quote...You can't make all the mistakes yourself so learn from other's screw-ups.

Okay so maybe that's not it word for word, but it sure does fit my post. Remember the post about waiting so long to get started on my passport? Well, consider this part two of the whole debacle. At least I was fully clothed for this round - that's about the only good thing I can say.

I went to the downtown post office this morning (I should mention that it's practically on the opposite end of town than where I live) and waited in the passport line for about ten minutes. Then I heard the somewhat grumpy guy behind the counter ask for the guy in front of me's birth certificate. That's when I remembered that I didn't have mine with me. Oh I'd wagged it from home, but it was currently in a bag at my parents house. I grumbled and then left.

This afternoon I went back...armed with said birth certificate. I was pleasantly surprised that it was a different guy altogether at the counter. He was friendly and quite chatty. He saw that I lived in Huntsville and asked if I was married. Strange question, but I answered. Then he wanted to know if I was any one's pen pal or working on an escape plan for some guy who'd ended up in the pin for robbing a convenience store for a snickers and tank of gas. I assured him that wasn't the case. Things were moving along smoothly when he stapled my birth certificate to the passport pack. I asked if he could make a copy and that's when he realized that it wasn't an "official" copy of my birth certificate. He directed me to the county courthouse to purchase an "official" one for $23. Grumbling some more I left.

I made it over to the county courthouse and waited in line there. I guess there was a run on birth certificates today. Anyway, I step up and the lady informs me that they only take cash. By now my grumbling is starting to be vocalized and just a tad unlady like. I asked if there was an ATM and of course there wasn't. I mean come on...that wouldn't fit the theme of this whole passport thing! She did inform me that there were two banks where I could get cash from the ATM. So, I left and returned with the required cash. Finally I was able to get my "official" birth certificate. And just so you know, an "official" birth certificate is just a copy of the original one with a Texas seal punched into the corner.

I returned to the post office to discover that the friendly guy wasn't at the window any longer, but rather that by-now-really-grumpy guy was there. I handed over my "official" birth certificate and we started the process of finishing things up. I asked for expedited service and apparently this was just what ticked this guy off. He looked back to my anticipated departure from the country date and let me know in no uncertain terms that I'd be lucky if it reached me in time. Well, thanks a lot Mr. Grump...I don't recall asking for your opinion on the matter. Anyway, I said thanks for the information and then we got to the big bucks part of the transaction. And when I say big bucks I mean it. Just to recap:

Practically naked passport photo $7.99
"Official" copy of birth certificate $23.00
Expedited passport paper work application $127.00
Post office processing fee $30.00
Expedited over night service to L.A. California $16.25
Expedited over night service of passport back to me $16.25

And there lies the lesson, friends. Get your passport crap together early! Do not wait until the last minute! I left the local post office this afternoon with a much lighter wallet and several new brain wrinkles when it comes to staying on top of things.

And I've also come to this decision...I will travel out of the country...a lot...in the next ten years to make this whole experience worth it!

11 comments:

Lori said...

OMG!! Note to self: Look and see when mine expires! yikes - I don't remember it being such a pain in the ass!!!

Becky said...

Steff,
I am not glad about your experience but I am glad that someone else had a horrendous time with getting their passport. When I was applying for mine for my cruise this last February, I had to fill out an extra form and provide a typed document explaining why I was getting a new passport and what had happened to my last one. I had to put that I had gotten married and moved and in that process it was lost. Talk about being picky huh?!? Don't you love all the technicalities?

Valerie said...

oh yeah.
cost of proving you are an American: $210.00
being inconvenienced and dealing with first class a-holes: priceless.

*~Annette~* said...

Amen!! Of course, my personal motivation for getting a passport is to apply for Survivor. That's all. And then I'll go to Ireland and Greece.... but only after I win a million, you know? But you do realize that I am being serious about the Survivor thing....

Trina said...

Oh great!! I need to get started with this whole thing too. We are hoping to go away for our 20th wedding anniversary NEXT year...crossing fingers!! Soooo sorry that your experience was so negative, but honestly I think that would have been me across the board...lol!

Steff said...

Lori: It probably wouldn't have been such a pain if I'd done it when I was supposed to...like in January so I'd have had plenty of time.

Becky: How long did it take for you to get your passport? I paid for the extra fast shipping so I hope it gets here before the cruise.

Valerie: Exactly

Annette: I'd love to watch you on Survivor! Just don't trust ANYONE!!!

Trina: Learn from me baby! Do it now and save yourself a lot of hassel!

Anonymous said...

The problem, dear Steffy, came because the US govt decided to change their own rules quite suddenly. In fact they screwed up to royally that they have had to unchange them again a day or so ago, unless they have now un unchanged them back.

Just like you should have seen this coming months ago == when the govt suddenly decided to require hundreds of thousands of people to need passports where they did not formerly need them, THEY should have seen this coming, and they either did not, or they don't care.

Fin

Oh, and as of Sunday --- not yet...

Steff said...

Fin: Well, I kept thinking I'd go do it, but as I discovered it wasn't something you just thought "Oh, I'll get a passport today." kind of thing. I guess I'll know for next time.

As for the other...sick...just sick. :(

Melissa said...

I keep thinking about you this week whenever I see a news report about passport delays. You're in good company!

Lindsey said...

They are just NEVER that friendly in places like that. Like it's our fault they hate their job!!

WordBearer said...

I think that every adult should be required to get their passport at 18. Just get it out of the way.

I hear you on this stuff Steff. I have to get my brother his passport for work and it is taking forever. He did the whole expediated thing back in md-May. He still does not have his passport. It is going to take a while.