Friday, December 28, 2007

Make 'Em To Break 'Em

This morning I spent several minutes going back and looking at the posts I wrote last year about this time. Does anyone else ever do that? Sometimes I find that it is a great measuring stick to see what was stressing me, making me happy, driving me nutty, turning me on a year ago. A few things have stayed the same and somethings have been resolved. Either way it is nice to look back at where I've been.

Which brings me to the point of where I'm going. New Year's resolutions have been on my mind lately. Last year I made the standard I'll-lose-some-pounds and exercise-is-my-friend type resolutions, but I made a lot of fluff ones too. I went back this morning and took a closer look. I'm still not sure if I should say sadly, but more were broken resolutions than ones that were kept. Which makes me wonder...will I be setting myself up for failure if I make a whole new batch of them this year?

I feel a need for change this coming year. I need to change some things professionally and some things personally. And I want to make a commitment and stick to it as well. Luckily I have a few more days to ponder what sort of things I want to write down as my big goals for 2008. And even if I can't keep them all and some might be just fluff I'm pretty sure I'll write them down. It's like taking the first step and I'm expecting that 2008 will be a year of a lot of first steps.

7 comments:

Tan said...

I do that! I look back! Good luck without whatever resolutions/goals you choose to set this year. I need to do some thinking of my own, but like you hate to set myself up for failure. Hmmm...

Lori said...

I look back all the time...I think where was I a year ago? It's interesting b/c time really does fly by!

As for resolutions, my advice is keep it simple. Make them things you really WANT to do. Keep it to a short list! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Niners said...

I have already began making my list, however I guess I too have a few more days to finalize it. My list is going to require some major committement on my part, but I have to do it.

Anonymous said...

I look back, however I tend to look wayyyyy back. I constantly go over the past and see how things have changed, etc.

I never make resolutions though. Just small goals.

Jacquie

Steff said...

Tee: I think this year I'm going to make some resolutions that are meant to be kept, but I'll toss in a few that are there as cushions so to speak...okay if they get broken!

Lori: Simple really is best...less to trip you up!

Nina: Yep, I'll have a few that are going to require serious commitment too. We can do!

Jacquie: I agree...looking back can help you see just how far you've come. And I like that!

Trina said...

I love to look back and reread my blog. I can't believe all the changes in my life either. I am not a resolution girl. lol However, the things that I have seriously wanted to change I have been able to through a lot of prayer. I hope that you have the best year yet Steff!

Anonymous said...

It is a real good feeling to set a goal and reach it. FOr me, the secret has been to set goals that are truly realistic. Sometimes I will set a goal with a two year timeframe for instance.

Happy New Year.

Fin